Joint pain is a common reason people reduce the amount of physical activity they do which leads to weight gain and decreased overall health. Fortunately, there are many do it yourself joint pain relief remedies that you can do on your own!
In fact, do it yourself joint pain relief can be very simple and very effective!
Using DIY joint pain remedies can save you money from doctor’s visits and help you live a pain-free life. If you have severe joint pain from something like a serious injury, you should always talk to a doctor before trying DIY joint pain remedies.
However, there many DIY joint pain relief remedies that work, so keep reading below to see the best options!
The Best DIY Joint Pain Remedies
Natural joint pain relief remedies are a great alternative to pain medications such as NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), and they are often cheaper than a trip to the doctor’s office.
Although DIY joint pain remedies may not be effective for you, the joint pain relief remedies on this list are generally safe and affordable, so you can give them a try on your own without worrying too much.
However, it is always a good idea to talk to your doctor if you have any concerns about your health.
Keep reading below to learn the best DIY joint pain relief remedies!
1.) Hot and Cold Therapy
If you have joint pain, the simplest form of DIY joint pain relief is hot and cold therapy.
For example, if you take a warm shower in the morning, you may find that it helps to loosen your joints and reduces stiffness so you can carry on throughout the day with less pain.
Contrarily, you can use ice or ice packs to reduce inflammation in the joints.
As stated in a study published in Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism,
“In vitro studies show that higher temperatures increase the breakdown of articular cartilage and tissues that contain collagen. Therefore, one goal of physical therapy should be to decrease the intraarticular temperature in actively inflamed arthritic joints.”
A hot compress promotes dilation of the vessels in joints which increases circulation. Cold compresses, on the other hand, constrict the vessels lowering the risk for inflammation. I use these compresses all the time, and my wife and I even travel with them no matter where we go!
For example, check out this Knee Support Wrap by Adalid Gear:
- 2-IN-1 FEATURE ELBOW & KNEE BRACE WITH HOT & COLD THERAPY GEL ICE PACK: A one-size-fits-all brace...
- HIGH-QUALITY COMFORT, MOBILITY, & SUPPORT: Made of stretchable neoprene (65%), nylon (20%) and...
- ALL-AROUND USE: For activities like sports, exercise, hiking, walking, running, etc. And when it...
- 100% MONEY BACK : Your satisfaction is our #1 priority! If you are not satisfied with your purchase,...
- CLICK ‘ADD TO CART’ NOW: Buy this brace before our limited time offer SALE expires!
Another form of hot and cold therapy for joint pain relief taking a contrast shower. This is a simple hot and cold treatment that can have significant results for people with joint pain!
2.) The Best Supplements for Joint Pain
There are a variety of dietary supplements for joint pain that are effective and can promote your overall long-term health as well.
Although your goal should be to eat a diet that consists of all the nutrients you need for a healthy body, sometimes it is not possible and there are some vitamins, minerals, and other compounds that are better in supplement form.
Here are a few of the best supplements for joint pain:
Magnesium is known to relax nerve endings, and stiffness or pain, which is why it is one of the best supplements for joint pain. It also regulates blood circulation in the body and helps our bones to mineralize. According to a study published in the journal Magnesium in the Central Nervous System,
“Magnesium plays an important role in the prevention of central sensitization and in the attenuation of established pain hypersensitivity, and its main mode of action appears to involve its voltage-gated antagonist action at N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors.”
My favorite magnesium supplement is Utzy Naturals U-Mag. Utzy Naturals U-Mag contains 400mg of magnesium per serving. I have used it before and I truly believe Utzy Naturals U-Mag is the best magnesium supplement for joint pain:
- CALMING MAGNESIUM DRINK – Magnesium is a key mineral that promotes relaxation in your body. Helps...
- DAILY SUPPLY OF MAGNESIUM IN ONE SCOOP – U-Mag is a natural magnesium drink mix that provides...
- ORGANIC LEMON FLAVOR - U-Mag has a delicious organic lemon flavor. Sugar free. Gluten free. Yeast...
- WE GET IT...USING HEALTHY, ALL-NATURAL SUPPLEMENTS SHOULDN’T BE A GAMBLE – Produced in an NSF...
- TRY DOCTOR-FORMULATED ALLURTICA RISK-FREE – If you’re not satisfied for any reason, return your...
Collagen supplements help promote the body’s collagen production which is essential for healthy cartilage and joints. Collagen is an especially important supplement for runners or other active people who have joint pain due to too much physical activity.
According to a study published in Current Medical Research and Opinion,
“This was the first clinical trial of 24-weeks duration to show improvement of joint pain in athletes who were treated with the dietary supplement collagen hydrolysate. The results of this study have implications for the use of collagen hydrolysate to support joint health and possibly reduce the risk of joint deterioration in a high-risk group.”
If you would like to try a collagen hydrolysate supplement for joint pain, I believe the best option is Vital Protein Collagen Peptides.
- Collagen helps to restore the skin’s moisture, improving the elasticity, tone and vibrancy...
- Collagen Peptides Powder ---- Sourced from grass-fed, pasture-raised bovine to ensure high quality...
- Health Benefits ---- Supports healthy hair, bones, joints, and nails. Collagen also boosts workout...
- Certifications ---- Non-GMO. Paleo Friendly & Whole30 Approved. No added sugars or sweeteners....
- 20g Collagen Powder per Serving ---- Provides daily servings at 20g of collagen per serving. Empty...
Another great collagen supplement for joint pain is BioCell Collagen. According to a study published in the Nutrition Journal, Type-2 collagen supplements (like BioCell Collagen) are effective for treating knee osteoarthritis pain and its associated symptoms.
- BioCell Collagen is a versatile nutritional supplement that supports both joint health and moisture...
- Joint Mobility and Comfort*
- Promotes Healthy Skin*
- Clinically Validated
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing...
Turmeric is one of the best natural remedies for joint pain and it has been used for joint pain relief for literally thousands of years.
Turmeric is one of nature’s strongest anti-inflammatory compounds, and it can help with long-term joint pain amongse many other health benefits. According to a study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food,
“Randomized Clinical Trials (RCTs) provide scientific evidence that supports the efficacy of turmeric extract (about 1000 mg/day of curcumin) in the treatment of arthritis.”
I have used tons of different turmeric supplements, but my favorite is Nuvana Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine and Ginger. Nuvana Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine and Ginger is optimized for bio-availability and is very affordable for its quality:
- FULL BODY BENEFITS - Our powerful, all-natural formula of curcumin, boswellia and ginger acts to...
- A BETTER BLEND - Studies have shown that the combined effect of Sustain’s unique ingredients...
- PREMIUM POTENCY - Sustain uses BioPerine black pepper extract to allow for maximum absorption,...
- MADE IN THE USA - All Nuvana products are lab-tested & produced in a state-of-the-art facility...
- A BRAND YOU CAN TRUST - At Nuvana, we proudly stand behind the safety and efficacy of our products....
Another excellent supplement for joint pain is fish oil. Fish oil contains Omega-3 Fatty Acids which helped reduce inflammation throughout the body, amongst other health benefits.
No matter what age you are, you should aim to add Omega 3 fatty acids into your diet. This is because they can improve your health in a number of ways, including:
- Helping Your Body Fight off Disease
- Help Your Brain and Memory
- Reduce the Chance of Heart Disease
As stated in a study published in Arthritis & Rheumatology,
“The proportions of patients who improved and of those who were able to reduce their concomitant anti-rheumatic medications were significantly greater with 2.6 gm/day of Omega 3 Fatty Acid Supplements (ω3). Conclusion. Daily supplementation with 2.6 gm of ω3 results in significant clinical benefit and may reduce the need for concomitant anti-rheumatic medication.”
Furthermore, according to a study published in Surgical Neurology,
“Our results mirror other controlled studies that compared ibuprofen and ω-3 EFAs demonstrating equivalent effect in reducing arthritic pain. ω-3 EFA fish oil supplements appear to be a safer alternative to NSAIDs for treatment of nonsurgical neck or back pain in this selective group.”
My favorite fish oil supplement for joint pain that I have used is Utzy Naturals U-Omega. Utzy Naturals U-Omega contains 430mg of EPA and 290mg of DHA (the most important compounds of fish oil supplements for joint pain).
Additionally, Utzy Naturals U-Omega does not have any “fishy burps.”
- FRESH & PURE – Our premium fish oil is made with the finest quality and purity standards to create...
- ETHICALLY SOURCED - High absorption fish oil
- EASY TO CONSUME - We’ve even added a hint of natural lemon flavor to make the perfect blend of...
- PREMIUM QUALITY - Made in the USA in a cGMP manufacturing facility
Although I haven’t tried it yet myself, I believe one of the most exciting fish oil supplements for joint pain relief is MAV Nutrition Omega 3 Fish Oil.
MAV Nutrition Omega 3 Fish Oil contains with 3,600mg of fish oil fatty acids, including 864 mg of DHA, 1,296 mg of EPA per serving. MAV Nutrition Omega 3 Fish Oil is also a “burpless” product.
- Quality source of omega 3. Not all Omega 3 is high quality! The Omega 3 found in Fish Oil contains...
- Premium series naturally sourced. Omega 3 fatty acids are widely considered one of the most critical...
- Burpless no fishy aftertaste. Our Fish Oil is burpless and won't cause stomach upset, so don’t...
- Ultra-pure, refined fish oil, advanced delivery. Our fish oil is purified with molecular...
- 100% Pure sea-harvested pelagic fish oil. Get all the health benefits of pure Sea-Harvested fish...
3.) Essential Oils for Joint Pain
Essential oils are a simple DIY joint pain remedy.
There are actually a variety of ways that you can use essential oils for joint pain relief as well. You can add a few drops of essential oils to a warm shower or bath, you can put them in an essential oil diffuser, or you can use essential oils for joint pain by combining them with a carrier oil and applying them topically on your joints.
The most effective way to use essential oils for joint pain is by applying them topically.
Also, there are multiple effective essential oils for joint pain, and one of the most commonly used is lavender oil. According to a study published in Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice,
“Aromatherapy massage with lavender essential oil was found effective in relieving pain in patients with knee osteoarthritis. “
If you would like to purchase essential oils to use for DIY joint pain relief, I suggest these:
- IMPROVE EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL HEALTH: Stress from our daily lives cause different issues in mental...
- IMPROVE YOUR OVERALL WELLNESS: As natural extracts, specific oils help in relieving tensions, boost...
- CALM YOUR MIND: Take a break from daily stress from work, school, or even at home. Get connected...
- SCENTS FOR DIFFERENT SEASONS: Each drop goes a long way. Our oil set comes in 10 different 10mL pure...
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Healthy mind, happy customers. We offer 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you...
If you would like to purchase an essential oil product that is great for applying topically, I suggest you try the Muscle MX CBD Balm. This product combines essential oils with CBD oil, which is another effective DIY joint pain remedy.
Although exercise may sound like the antithesis of DIY joint pain relief, exercise has been shown to help reduce joint pain and promote a healthier body overall.
Not only does exercise keep you fit, but it also helps to keep your joints flexible and mobile.
According to the research study Exercise for Arthritis,
“The data available indicates that Range of Motion (ROM), strengthening and aerobic conditioning exercises are safe for patients with Osteoarthritis (OA), Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) or AS, despite earlier concerns that exercise might exacerbate joint symptoms or accelerate the disease.”
Motion strengthens the joints and stimulates the body to produce lubricants to coat the joints. According to a study on the effects of using exercise and rehabilitation to treat osteoarthritis symptoms,
“High‐quality evidence indicates that land‐based therapeutic exercise provides short‐term benefit that is sustained for at least two to six months after cessation of formal treatment in terms of reduced knee pain, and moderate‐quality evidence shows improvement in physical function among people with knee OA. The magnitude of the treatment effect would be considered moderate (immediate) to small (two to six months) but comparable with estimates reported for non‐steroidal anti‐inflammatory drugs.”
However, it is important to understand that some forms of exercise are more effective than others for reducing joint pain.
For example, using a Chi Machine is a low-impact form of exercise that is useful for people with joint pain.
A Chi Machines provides what is known as a passive aerobic workout. The Chi Machine was invented in 1990 by Dr. Inoue Shizuo and it is a unique fitness device that has demonstrated the ability to help people with joint pain.
One research study which was conducted on using a chi machine for leg lymphedema stated that,
“Although some of the fluid and symptoms had returned at the 1 month followup, none of the parameters had returned to pre-treatment levels. This finding indicates that this equipment may have on going beneficial effects. This clinical trial demonstrates that the Sun Ancon® Chi Machine®Aerobic Exerciser is an effective adjunct therapy that can be used in the patient’s own home.”
Yoga is another excellent way you can improve your joint health and get a healthier body. You might not want to dive right into an intense yoga program such as the 21 Day Yoga Shred workout program, but you can certainly begin with gentle hatha yoga and begin improving your mobility and flexibility.
There are other great forms of exercise to help reduce joint pain as well.
Lastly, depending on where your joint pain occurs, wearing compression clothing over that part of your body can make exercising more comfortable. For example, if you are dealing with knee pain, wearing women’s or mens workout leggings can help relieve some of the stiffness and pain while you are running or doing other forms of exercise.
Compression clothing improves your circulation and has beneficial effects for reducing joint pain both while exercising and after exercising.
There are a ton of companies that make compression clothing designed to help make exercise easier for your joints, such as Nike, Under Armour, Reebok, Differio, and more.
5.) Eat an Anti-Inflammatory Diet for Joint Pain Relief
Chronic joint pain is often aggravated by inflammation, and eating an anti-inflammatory diet is one of the best DIY joint pain remedies. There are many different diets for joint pain relief, but they all have the foundational principle of reducing inflammation in the body.
Some of the best diets for joint pain relief include:
- The Mediterranean Diet
- The Arthritis Foundation Anti Inflammatory Diet
- Diets that Avoid Refined Sugars and Carbohydrates
- Vegetarian/Vegan Diets
6.) Improve Your Sleeping Conditions
Sleep is one of the most vital components of human health and it can have a huge impact on joint pain. According to a study published in the journal Sleep,
“This study provides the first evidence of an exaggerated increase in symptoms of mood and pain in patients with rheumatoid arthritis after sleep loss, along with an activation of rheumatoid arthritis-related joint pain.”
Not only can a lack of sleep create more joint pain, but your sleeping conditions can also affect joint pain. For example, if you have hip, shoulder, neck, or chronic back pain, changing your mattress is a simple DIY joint pain remedy that can make a big difference on you feel after sleeping each night.
Often, switching to a better mattress, such as a memory foam mattress, can make a huge difference in your joint pain. Try one if you’re a light sleeper who consistently wakes up at night from joint pain.
7.) Mindfulness and Meditation
Using mindfulness and meditation are two simple DIY joint pain remedies that can help reduce joint pain and improve your mental and physical health.
Both mindfulness and meditation can be used to reduce our perception of pain and discomfort.
According to a study published in The Clinical Journal of Pain,
“Two hundred twenty-five chronic pain patients were studied following training in mindfulness meditation. Large and significant overall improvements were recorded post-intervention in physical and psychological status.”
Concluding Thoughts – Understanding DIY Joint Pain
Although there are many DIY ways to treat joint pain at home, sometimes these joint pain remedies do not do the trick. In that case, there are still many options.
For example, a regenerative procedure such as non-invasive stem cell injection or PRP therapy will encourage your body to repair itself. I have used PRP therapy before and I believe it is one of the most effective medical procedures.
Websites like Chronic Care of Richmond are helpful for helping you learn more about how these procedures can help you reduce joint pain.
However, it is likely that using the DIY joint pain relief remedies listed above can make a big difference for you and help you live a pain-free life!
See Also: How to Cure Jumpers Knee