Have you ever looked back to an earlier day when you were active and engaged in sports and other outside activities? Like climbing a ridiculously large tree just because it seemed fun, roller blading in the park with friends, hiking because you love nature, and mountaineering because you are seeking some adventure.
Are you no longer able to do any of these, or maybe only half of them? Is pain holding you back?
One of the main reasons people stop being active is joint or muscle pain. Muscles and joints are like the tires for a car that make it roll. The joint is one of the most important part of our body as its main function is to connect our bones.
What is the Purpose of Your Joints?
Joints are the reason why we can bend our knees, flex our arms and so many other movements. These joints, that have a wide range of motion are called diarthrosis.
There are also joints that don’t allow movement.
They are called synarthrosis and can be found in the sockets of our teeth, for example. A third type of joint are called amphiarthrosis; they have limited range of motion and are found in the vertebrae and hips. Joints have three distinct structures: fibrous – collagen rich fibers, cartilage, and ligaments (synovial joints) which is connective tissue.
The reasons for muscle and joint pain are multi-facetted. Injuries, obviously, are a clear reason for pain. But age contributes to joint and muscle pains as well.
How Does Arthritis and Joint Pain Occur?
As we get older, the connective tissues and fibers lose elasticity and become tight and brittle. So when the joints in our wrist, hands, hips and knees start acting up, we are probably at the onset of arthritis.
Two types of arthritis can make life unbearable: Osteoarthritis which breaks down cartilage and bones, and rheumatoid Arthritis which is an inflammation whereby the body destroys its healthy cells and can lead to deformation.
Another cause of joint pain is fibromyalgia.
This disease does not only causes joint pain but also muscle pain and is a long term condition. Also, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, or what is commonly known as Lupus, can cause severe joint pain just like rheumatoid arthritis.
Lupus does not only affect the joints but also affects different systems in the body. Gout is less systemic than Lupus and usually affects an isolated joint at a time.
However, recurring gout episodes can cause deformities in the joint.
Children can be affected by arthritis: Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis which can be treated and permanent remission is possible. Childhood arthritis manifests in symptoms such as joint pain, fever, swelling, stiffness and being unable to cope with daily activities of living.
All of these can be very debilitating and can hinder daily activities.
A person who has limited mobility may have reduced blood circulation, may deal with heartburn, indigestion and osteoporosis. The risk for heart disease increases due to lack of exercise.
What is DIY Joint Pain Relief?
Considering the side effects of pain medications, many have turned to natural remedies for pain relief.
Simply put, DIY joint pain relief is using holistic methods to treat your joint pain. Simple do it yourself pain relief methods include:
- Using CBD Oil
- Practicing Yoga
- Getting a Massage
- Sleeping for Over 8-hours at Night
Keep reading below to learn more about DIY joint pain relief.
Related Reading: Chronic Pain Management
Hot and Cold Treatment for Joint Pain Relief
If you have arthritis or other forms of joint pain, another treatment you can try is using hot and cold treatments. For example, if you take a warm bath in the morning, you may find that it helps to loosen your joints and reduces stiffness for you to carry on throughout the day with less pain.
However, if you feel that your joints are hurting, you can use cold items like ice packs to reduce the pain.
For example, if you currently have severe inflammation in your joints, it is best to use ice to reduce the inflammation.
As stated in a study published in Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism,
“In vitro studies show that higher temperatures increase the breakdown of articular cartilage and tissues that contain collagen. Therefore, one goal of physical therapy should be to decrease intraarticular temperature in actively inflamed arthritic joints.”
A hot compress promotes dilation of the vessels in joints which increases circulation. Cold compresses, on the other hand, constrict the vessels lowering the risk for inflammation. I use these compresses all the time, and my wife and I even travel with them no matter where we go!
For example, check out this Knee Support Wrap by Adalid Gear.
Another form of hot and cold therapy is taking a contrast shower. This is a simple hot and cold treatment that can have significant results for people with joint pain!
Supplements for Joint Pain Relief
A healthy diet is essential for good joint health. Omega 3 Fatty Acids, such as found in fish, coconut oil, chia and flax seed have anti-inflammatory effects. However, not everyone has a perfect diet, and there are a variety of supplements which can significantly improve joint pain.
Magnesium for Joint Pain
Magnesium is known to relax nerve endings, and stiffness or pain. It also regulates blood circulation in the body and helps our bones to mineralize. According to a study published in the journal Magnesium in the Central Nervous System,
“Magnesium plays an important role in the prevention of central sensitization and in the attenuation of established pain hypersensitivity, and its main mode of action appears to involve its voltage-gated antagonist action at N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors.”
My favorite magnesium supplement is Utzy Naturals U-Mag. Utzy Naturals U-Mag contains 400mg of magnesium per serving, and it worked very well for me when I was using it. Magnesium is especially important for me as a professional basketball player, since it helps prevent cramps.
- CALMING MAGNESIUM DRINK – Magnesium is a key mineral that promotes relaxation in your body. Helps to relax sore, tired, cramped muscles and supports deep, restorative sleep at night.
- DAILY SUPPLY OF MAGNESIUM IN ONE SCOOP – U-Mag is a natural magnesium drink mix that provides 400mg of magnesium, the recommended daily dose.
- ORGANIC LEMON FLAVOR - U-Mag has a delicious organic lemon flavor. Sugar free. Gluten free. Yeast free. Free of artificial colors and flavors.
- WE GET IT...USING HEALTHY, ALL-NATURAL SUPPLEMENTS SHOULDN’T BE A GAMBLE – Produced in an NSF registered facility in the USA with potency-tested ingredients. Weight tested to ensure uniform dosage.
- TRY DOCTOR-FORMULATED ALLURTICA RISK-FREE – If you’re not satisfied for any reason, return your bottle within 30 days for a full refund. Safe for kids and adults. Promote health, don’t mask symptoms.
Related Reading: What to Do About Shoulder Pain
Collagen Supplements for Joint Pain
Collagen supplements help promote the body’s collagen production essential for healthy cartilage and joints. I use collage protein instead of whey protein or other types of protein powder because I feel they have a much better effect for both my muscles and joints. Along with that, I also take BioCell Collagen tablets to further contribute to increase collagen levels throughout my body.
According to a study published in Current Medical Research and Opinion,
“This was the first clinical trial of 24-weeks duration to show improvement of joint pain in athletes who were treated with the dietary supplement collagen hydrolysate. The results of this study have implications for the use of collagen hydrolysate to support joint health and possibly reduce the risk of joint deterioration in a high-risk group.”
If you would like to try a collage supplement, I believe the best option is Vital Protein Collagen Peptides.
- Nutrient-dense: Collagen Peptides offers 20g of collagen per serving, sourced from one single ingredient
- 0g sugar: A great option for individuals looking to minimize their sugar intake
- Many benefits: Helps support hair, skin, nails, bones and joints**
- Easy to use: Easily mixes and dissolves your favorite hot and cold beverages, like coffee, smoothies, and tea
- Gluten and dairy free
Turmeric Supplements for Joint Pain
Along with collagen supplements, another great natural product you can use for DIY joint pain relief is turmeric. Turmeric is one of natures strongest anti-inflammatory compounds, and it can help with long-term joint pain among many other health benefits. According to a study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food,
“Randomized Clinical Trials (RCTs) provide scientific evidence that supports the efficacy of turmeric extract (about 1000 mg/day of curcumin) in the treatment of arthritis.”
I have used tons of different turmeric supplements, but my favorite is Nuvana Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine and Ginger. Nuvana Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine and Ginger is optimized for bio-availability and is very affordable for the quality.
- PACKED WITH HIGH QUALITY TURMERIC - Our powerful, all-natural blend packs in 1800mg of the highest-quality Turmeric, standardized with 95% Curcuminoids and Ginger available. These superfoods, combined with Bioperine allow for maximum absorption and bio-availability to support a healthy and active lifestyle.
- POWERFUL ANTI-INFLAMMATORY & ANTIOXIDANT – Turmeric is arguably one of the most powerful superfoods on Earth. Curcumin, the key component found in Turmeric is a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that helps support joint health and mobility.
- GET THE MOST WITH BIOPERINE – Our carefully crafted blend is enhanced with the use of the Bioperine, a patented extract of black pepper fruit that has been clinically shown to increase the absorption of Curcumin by as much as 4X for enhanced bioavailability.
- MADE IN THE USA - All of our products are produced in a state-of-the-art facility in Los Angeles, California following GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) under a strict system of processes, procedures and documentation to assure that our products contain the strength, composition, quality and purity that appear on our labels.
- A BRAND YOU CAN TRUST - At Nuvana, we proudly stand behind the safety and efficacy of our products. If you are unsatisfied for any reason, contact us to receive a full refund. Your complete satisfaction is our priority.
Fish Oil Supplements for Joint Pain
Lastly, one excellent supplement for joint pain is fish oil. Fish oil contains valuable Omega-3 Fatty Acids which evens out the high-amounts of Omega-6 Fatty Acids in the typical Western Diet.
No matter what age you are, you should aim to add Omega 3 fatty acids into your diet. This is because they can improve your health in a number of ways, which include:
- Helping Your Body Fight off Disease
- Help Your Brain and Memory
- Reduce the Chance of Heart Disease
If you consume Omega 3 fatty acids, you can also help your arthritis or joint pain.
As stated in a study published in Arthritis & Rheumatology,
“The proportions of patients who improved and of those who were able to reduce their concomitant anti-rheumatic medications were significantly greater with 2.6 gm/day of Omega 3 Fatty Acid Supplements (ω3). Conclusion. Daily supplementation with 2.6 gm of ω3 results in significant clinical benefit and may reduce the need for concomitant anti-rheumatic medication.”
Furthermomre, according to a study published in Surgical Neurology,
“Our results mirror other controlled studies that compared ibuprofen and ω-3 EFAs demonstrating equivalent effect in reducing arthritic pain. ω-3 EFA fish oil supplements appear to be a safer alternative to NSAIDs for treatment of nonsurgical neck or back pain in this selective group.”
Although I haven’t tried it yet myself, I believe one of the most exciting fish oil supplements I have seen on the market is MAV Nutrition Omega 3 Fish Oil.
MAV Nutrition Omega 3 Fish Oil contains with 3,600mg of fish oil fatty acids, including 864 mg of DHA, 1,296 mg of EPA per serving. MAV Nutrition Omega 3 Fish Oil is also a “burpless” product, which is more important than you might think!
- QUALITY SOURCE OF OMEGA 3. Not all Omega 3 is high quality! The Omega 3 found in Fish Oil contians unique essential fats including EPA and DHA, known to decrease inflammation and support overall health and wellness*. MAV Fish Oil is higher quality than competitor brands and contains more EPA and DHA per serving.
- PREMIUM SERIES NATURALLY SOURCED. Omega 3 fatty acids are widely considered one of the most critical supplements you can put in your body.* Our Premium Series Fish Oil is 100% natural and pure with no additives, and contains 3,600mg Fish Oil Fatty Acids, including 864 mg DHA, 1,296 mg EPA per serving.
- BURPLESS NO FISHY AFTERTASTE. Our Fish Oil is burpless and won't cause stomach upset, so don’t have to worry about indigestion or an unpleasant after taste staying with you all day!
- ULTRA-PURE, REFINED FISH OIL, ADVANCED DELIVERY. Our fish oil is purified with molecular distillation - one of the few current methods that can purify from heavy metals, PCB's and other toxins to below detectable limits for human consumption. Fast method. Minimal temperature. No toxins.
- 100% PURE SEA-HARVESTED PELAGIC FISH OIL. Get all the health benefits of pure Sea-Harvested fish oil. This Fish Oil Supplement supports a healthy heart, brain health, healthy joints, mood & mental state, skin & hair.*
You can add Omega 3 fatty acids to your diet by consuming fatty fish like salmon and fish oil supplements, or consuming plant foods such as hemp seeds, flax seed, or walnuts.
Exercise for Joint Pain
Movement, as uncomfortable as it might be initially, is essential to loosen up stiff muscles and keep them nimble. Immobility leads to atrophy, which leads to joint pain.
That is why one way that you can treat arthritis or other forms of joint pain is by exercising more. Not only does exercise help you lose weight and keep you fit, but it also helps to keep your joints flexible. To keep your joints flexible, you should do exercises like swimming and aerobics and pilates that don’t cause further damage to your joints.
According to the research study Exercise for Arthritis,
“The data available indicates that Range of Motion (ROM), strengthening and aerobic conditioning exercises are safe for patients with Osteoarthritis (OA), Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) or AS, despite earlier concerns that exercise might exacerbate joint symptoms or accelerate the disease.”
Motion strengthens the joints and stimulates the body to produce lubricants to coat the joints. According to one study on the effects of using exercise and rehabilitation to treat osteoarthritis symptoms,
“High‐quality evidence indicates that land‐based therapeutic exercise provides short‐term benefit that is sustained for at least two to six months after cessation of formal treatment in terms of reduced knee pain, and moderate‐quality evidence shows improvement in physical function among people with knee OA. The magnitude of the treatment effect would be considered moderate (immediate) to small (two to six months) but comparable with estimates reported for non‐steroidal anti‐inflammatory drugs.”
You should start all your workouts with a proper dynamic warm up, and you can consider trying yoga for further mobility training.
You should not do any plyometric exercises or intense workout programs, but exercising is a legitimate part of any arthritis or joint pain treatment program!
Essential Oils for Joint Pain
Essential Oils have been found to help with joint and muscle pain as well. According to a study published in Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice,
“Aromatherapy massage with lavender essential oil was found effective in relieving pain in patients with knee osteoarthritis. “
Apply a couple of drops to a hot or cold compress and apply to the affected area. You can also add several drops to a hot bath and let your muscles relax in the warm water. You can also use them in an essential oil diffuser (as I do all-year) or add them with a carrier oil for an aromatherapy massage.
If you would like to purchase some essential oils for DIY joint pain relief, I suggest these:
- IMPROVE EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL HEALTH: Stress from our daily lives cause different issues in mental and physical health. Dilute any essential oils and use it as a massage oil for improved well-being.
- IMPROVE YOUR OVERALL WELLNESS: As natural extracts, specific oils help in relieving tensions, boost one’s mental health, circulation, and improve retention and focus by using our essential oils for diffuser.
- CALM YOUR MIND: Take a break from daily stress from work, school, or even at home. Get connected with nature and put your mind at ease or initiate a restful sleep with our therapeutic diffuser oils.
- SCENTS FOR DIFFERENT SEASONS: Each drop goes a long way. Our oil set comes in 10 different 10mL pure aromatherapy essential oils, for traditional homeopathy and general vitality to last a long time.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Healthy mind, happy customers. We offer 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are unsatisfied with our essential oil set let us know and we will give you a FULL refund.
Concluding Thoughts – DIY Joint Pain
Although there are ways to treat arthritis or other forms of joint pain at home, it is always best to make sure you get in contact with a doctor or medical expert to make sure you are following the treatment that will work best for you or if the doctor would recommend anything different to try.
Doctors deal with many different types of orthopedics, and they can also give you great advice to make sure your condition can be appropriately treated.
Don’t allow pain to take over your life. Take the lead in treating muscle and joint pains the natural way!
Use these tips, and I am confident you will see that you have the capability of taking joint pain relief into your own hands!
See Also: How to Cure Jumpers Knee