Self massage tools are an affordable alternative to weekly or monthly massages, and they really can make a huge difference in how you feel. However, there are a ton of these self massage tools to choose from, so how do you know which one to buy?
Well, I’ve used a lot of them, and I’m here to help!
Below I have listed the 5 best self massage tools based on my experience of using different massage tools from around the world!
Before we look at the best self massage tools, I want to quickly give you some advice on how to get the most out of your self massage tools so you don’t waste your time or money!
How to Get the Most Value Out of Your Self Massage Tools?
First, of all, a few of the primary benefits of self massage therapy with a dedicated self massage tool are:
- Helps to Increase Blood Flow and Oxygen Uptake to Your Tissues
- Reduces Your Blood Pressure
- Helps to Relax Muscles and Release Tension
- Improves and Strengthens Your Immune System
- Increases Flexibility
- Alleviates Headaches
- Releases Endorphins for Natural Pain Relief and Relieving Depression
- Helps to Stimulate the Energy Pathways of Your Body Which Prevent or Correct Various Health Issues
Whether you want to use self massage tools to help you recover from your workouts, or to simply feel better, there are a few key tips that will help you get the most out of your self massage tools.
First, while massaging yourself, you need to relax and make yourself comfortable. If you are tense, your self massage therapy will not be effective.
Also, it is important to remember that warm muscles usually loosen up better than cold muscles, which is why self massage therapy directly after a workout is very effective. Alternatively, you can do your self massage therapy after a warm shower, or in a warm room in your house.
You can do self massage therapy if you are cold or have cold muscles, but it won’t be as effective.
Additionally, for each muscle you are going to massage, find a position where the muscle is relaxed before you go to massage it because you do not want your muscles to be contracted in while doing self massage therapy.
Along with that, to get the most out of your self massage tool, find the most mechanically advantaged position to massage your muscles. As I will discuss below, this is why I love the Roll Recovery R8 or the Theragun. Having proper leverage is crucial to being able to deeply massage your muscles.
Lastly, while massaging your body, focus on trigger points. They are the “knots” in the muscle tissue which feel tighter than your other muscles.
Now that you know the basics of self massage therapy, let’s look at the best self massage tools!
The Best Self Massage Tools
There are many self massage tools that can help you reduce muscle soreness and live a pain-free life.
Here are the 5 best self-massage tools on the market!
1.) TheraGun G4 Pro
If you are looking to buy the absolute best self massage tool for muscle recovery possible, you are going to have to invest in the TheraGun G4 Pro. I have not included any other percussive therapy devices (such as the HyperVolt) on my list or even other versions of the TheraGun because in my opinion, you should either purchase the TheraGun G4 Pro, or just use one of the significantly cheaper self massage tools that I have listed below.
The HyperVolt and cheaper versions of the TheraGun are effective, but the TheraGun G4 Pro completely blows them out of the water in effectiveness. I have used multiple of these massage gun devices, so I am confident in what I am saying.
Benefits of the Theragun G4 Pro include:
- Provides a level of self massage that is often better than even a massage therapist can provide.
- The TheraGun G4 Pro has a long battery life, and it travels very easily.
- It is extremely easy to use and you can use it on nearly all of your muscles on your own.
Purchasing the TheraGun G3 Pro was one of the best investments I made into my body ever, and the new Theragun G4 Pro is even better than the one I currently own!
- POWERFULLY QUIET - Proprietary brushless QX150 motor with QuietForce Technology delivers powerful,...
- 300 min. CONTINUOUS BATTERY LIFE - Includes 2 rechargeable lithium-ion batteries (150 min. each)....
- CUSTOMIZABLE SPEED RANGE & OLED SCREEN - Monitor current speed and force on OLED screen, access any...
- ROTATING ARM & ERGONOMIC MULTI-GRIP - allows you to hold the device in a number of ways while...
- SMART APP INTEGRATION - Connects to app via Bluetooth to run personalized wellness routines based on...
You can check out my Theragun G4 Pro Review to learn more about it as well.
2.) Resteck Neck and Back Massager
For people who have mostly neck and back pain, the Resteck Neck and Back Massager is the best self massage tool! I actually bought this as a present for my Mother’s 60th birthday and she absolutely loves using it while working at her desk.
The Resteck Neck and Back Massager has a kneading and knotting function, along with the ability to heat to reduce your neck or back pain.
One of the times I used it was when I had some back pain associated with glute tightness. I used the Resteck Neck and Back Massager for self massage therapy on my glutes and my lower back, and it made a huge difference even when I could hardly stand up out of my chair!
So, I am very confident the Resteck Neck and Back Massager is one of the best self massage tools!
- ALLEVIATE ACUTE PAINS & MUSCLE SORENESS: Save your precious time and hard earned money with a...
- ENJOY A DEEP MASSAGE EVEN ON THE GO: One of the greatest things about this shiatsu massager is its...
- CONTROL HEAT & STIMULATION TO YOUR NEEDS: This shiatsu massager has 4 buttons for facilitated use....
- MASSAGE EVERY INCH OF YOUR BODY: Explore the multipurpose nature of our shiatsu kneading massager...
- GET THIS THERAPY MASSAGER WITH CONFIDENCE: Satisfying our customers is our top priority. That is why...
3.) Roll Recovery R8
The roll recovery is one of the best lower body self massage tools I have found.
I first discovered this product when recovering from a serious ankle injury back in 2015-2016, and it was pivotal in my ability to loosen the muscles of my calf, ankle, and shin while rehabbing.
The Roll Recovery R8 allows you to easily have a mechanically advantaged position over the muscle which you are looking to roll out, and the design of the roller-blade like wheels are excellent at targeting trigger points.
Outside of the TheraGun, there is no better self massage tool than the Roll Recovery R8 for your lower body, as you can easily dig into tight and stiff spots throughout your legs with the easy to use design.
Benefits of the Roll Recovery R8 Include:
- The Roll Recovery R8 is extremely portable, and can easily travel in your gym bag.
- The Roll Recovery R8 can target the muscles of your shin and calve like no other.
- The Roll Recovery R8 makes self massage easier with its design, and you are more likely to need to take the pressure off than add it.
- The Roll Recovery R8 is easy to control pressure with, and you will be able to find the same effectiveness as a massage from a professional massage therapist!
4.) The Foam Roller
To be honest, I hate foam rolling. However, I can’t deny it is one of the best self massage tools and one of the most effective ways to do self massage therapy.
The foam roller is very effective for the thighs, and especially the hamstrings, iliotibial band, and quads.
There are a lot of different foam rollers you can buy for your self massage therapy, and the best foam rollers are ones which are durable, effective, and versatile enough to match the needs of their user.
You can buy a smooth and softer foam roller if you do not want a painful experience, or you can consider getting a spiked foam roller if you want to make a bigger impact on reducing your muscle pain.
Benefits of Using a Foam Roller Include:
- Using the foam roller loosens the fascia, which is a fibrous layer of the connective tissue which surrounds all the muscles of your body.
- Foam rolling will lead to an increased range of motion, and it will ensure that trigger points and scar tissue are broken up within the muscle and fascia.
- By using the foam roller, you can increase the flexibility of your muscles
- Foam rollers are both affordable and relatively easy to travel with
There are a lot of different foam rollers you could buy, but this is a great one that is also affordable:
- Patented foam roller design offers a superior, multi-density exterior constructed over a rigid,...
- Constructed from quality materials that won't break down or lose shape from repeated use
- Includes access to free online instructional video library on foam rolling best practices from the...
- Trusted foam roller of physical and massage therapists, coaches, trainers and athletes
- Original GRID: Standard density, 13 x 5.5 inches, 500 pound weight limit; 1 year manufacturer's...
5.) Blitzby 5-in-1 Acupuncture Pen
If you want to mainly focus on trigger points and other small areas of the body, the Blitzby 5-in-1 Acupuncture Pen is the best self massage tool for you! The Blitzby 5-in-1 Acupuncture Pen is a great self massage tool that costs only a little over $20, and can provide effective relief for trigger points and other fine areas of the body.
This is not a powerful electric self massage tool like the TheraGun, but it is effective and very accurate for many different types of aches and pains.
You can also use the Blitzby 5-in-1 Acupuncture Pen for specific acupuncture zones.
- Needleless Acupuncture - There are no needles involved, so there is no skin piercing. Simply press...
- Alternative Treatment - The Electronic Acupuncture Pen has no side effects, unlike medicated...
- Easy To Use - The Electronic Acupuncture Pen only needs One AA Battery (not included) to function....
- Features 5 Special Functions - The Dome Tip is superficial therapy, applicable for health care and...
- Portable Pain Reliever - The Electronic Acupuncture Pen is lightweight and fits easily in your...
6.) The Stick
Before the TheraGun and Roll Recovery R8 were invented, The Stick was my favorite self massage tool, and I would have told anyone it is the best self massage tool.
Although there are newer self massage tools that have surpassed it, The Stick still provides a lot of great benefits.
The Stick rolls out muscles and provides myofascial release and trigger point therapy.
Benefits of The Stick Include:
- The Stick is very affordable
- The Stick is great for targeting trigger points, increasing range of motion, and relieving pain
- The Stick also helps to enhance the flexibility of your body and accelerates the muscle recovery process
- The Stick is quite simple to use at home without any special equipment
The main con of The Stick is that sometimes you will have to put a lot of effort to get the desired effect. However, it is still a great self massage tool!
- Flexibility of the core bends and allows you to treat a much larger area much more comfortably
- Center rod of the stick is surrounded by 8 rotating spindles or rollers, which roll independently...
- 17” long roller is designed to rock back and forth a little bit to find and release painful...
- Helps to improve strength, flexibility and endurance by rapidly preparing muscles for physical...
- Post activity use enhances and accelerates muscle recovery by dispersing the effects of lactic acid
7.) The Still Point Inducer
I’ve never used the Still Point Inducer, but I know it is a great tool for self-massage that can help release a tight neck because I have made a “DIY Still Point Inducer” by taping two tennis balls together and it worked pretty well!
The Still Point Inducer is also a very affordable self massage tool, which is why it is a great option for buying.
To use the Still Point Inducer, lay on your back while placing the device under your neck at the base of your skull, lining your cervical spine in the crease between the two protrusions.
Then, you must lay there for a period of five minutes and relax, and it is even better when you put a foam roller or pillow under your knees in order to keep them bent. This will help your spine to be more relaxed.
Benefits of the Still Point Inducer Include:
- A small study that was carried out found that the combination of the Still Point Inducer with soothing music provided pain relief that is equivalent to a 10-minute massage.
- The Still Point Inducer is simple to use at home for self-massage.
- According to physical therapist Mariann Sisco, patients find it helpful in preventing migraines, and it helps to improve sleep quality.
- This simple device creates soothing still points like those you can achieve with Craniosacral...
- CranioSacral Therapy is a form of body work that is incredibly gentle and helps to relax...
- The increased blood flow to the brain has an effect on the central nervous system and the entire...
- So simple to use, just choose a comfortable surface to lie on (floor, bed, couch) While on your...
8.) The Theracane
Do you know that point in your massage therapy session when the massage therapist presses their thumb or elbow into a specific point and they hold it until it releases the tension? The Theracane will help you get a deep tissue massage in this manner.
With the Theracane, you will need to generate the pressure yourself to dig in, or likewise ease off when you want to. The Theracane enables you to release tension in painful areas of your trapezius muscles, shoulders, glutes, and the big erector muscles along your back.
- 6 treatment balls for total body massage
- Measures 24 X 15 X 1
- Eliminate painful knots in your muscles on your own
- Ideal after strenuous activities or for relaxation anytime
- Cane shaped massager for easing aches and pains
Concluding Thoughts – Best Self Massage Tools
Self massage tools can make a huge impact on your muscle soreness and other types of pain. Also, self massage tools are cost effective and can provide huge amounts of relief!
I believe the TheraGun G4 Pro is the best self massage tool, but there are other less-expensive options you should look at as well.
I hope this product review of the best self massage tools was able to help you decide which self massager is right for you!