For men over 40, taking the correct dietary supplements can make the difference from beginning to age quickly, or retaining youth and vibrancy.
You can find a lot of quality dietary supplements that offer nutrients your body might need, and many of them are only for a specific sex and age group. You can talk to your doctor to see what kind of supplements you need, but these are my suggestions for supplements for men over 40 years old.
Whether you decide to take apple cider vinegar with garcinia cambogia to lose weight, or if you decide to take one or more other supplements, there are many potential benefits you can receive.
Keep reading below to learn more about why men over 40 years old need supplements, and what are some of the best options.
Why Do Men Over 40 Need Dietary Supplements?
Slow Down the Aging Process
Did you know that with the right supplement plan, as well as proper exercise and a healthy diet, men over 40 can still have an aesthetic body? Just look at The Rock, John Cena, or any other 40+ man with an incredible physique.
Some vitamins and minerals found in supplements can help slow down signs of aging.
For example, omega-3 fatty acids (such as from fish oil supplements) help keep the skin looking young and bright.
Also, these omega-3 fatty acid supplements can help reduce the incidence of dementia or Alzheimer’s Disease.
According to a study published in Nature Reviews Neurology,
“Long-chain omega-3 fatty acids could have neuroprotective properties against dementia.”
In my opinion, the best fish oil supplement you should try is:
- BETTER THAN THE REST: Don't be fooled by cheap, mixed sourced Fish Oils claiming high quality. Our Fish Oil is sourced from ONLY Wild Alaska Pollock with 1099mg (88%) of triglyceride Omega-3s per softgel!
- BENEFITS: Provides Essential Fatty Acids that may help support brain, hair, skin and heart health.*
- PURE & CLEAN: We use AlaskOmega omega-3 fish oil sourced from only Wild Alaska Pollock from the Bering Sea. AlaskOmega omega-3 concentrates lead the market in oil freshness, with a maximum total oxidation (TOTOX) of 5!
- SUSTAINABLY SOURCED: AlaskOmega omega-3 concentrates are certified Sustainable and Traceable by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), the first omega-3 concentrate to achieve this distinction. Encapsulated in 'Pescatarian Friendly' fish gelatin capsule.
- 90 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: If you're not satisfied with our Omega-3 fish oil, simply return your product within 90 days for a refund.*
Furthermore, carotenoids and lutein in some supplements can help prevent age-related eye diseases.
Vitamin B and choline may also be in some supplements, and they are perfect for improving your memory.
Most of all, you need calcium to keep your bones healthy. As you age, your bones start to weaken, and you need calcium to retain their strength. According to a study on the effects of calcium supplementation that was published in Calcified Tissue International,
“Calcium had a consistent prevention effect on the rate of bone loss in the 12 studies of calcium supplements in postmenopausal women. This effect was greatest in studies in which the baseline calcium was low, supporting the idea of a threshold beyond which the effect of calcium is reduced. Cross-sectional studies showed a small but consistent positive correlation between calcium intake and bone mass.”
If you are serious about improving your bone density as a man over 40, I suggest:
- Plant Sourced, Whole Food Calcium; Reduces the risk of osteoporosis+
- Clinical Strength plant calcium with Vitamin K2 to direct calcium to bones, where you need it most, not where you don't. Fermented with Vitamin D3 for absorption, Magnesium and 70+ whole food trace minerals*
- 3 in 1 Benefit: Bone strength support, joint flexibility & heart health support*
- Easy to Swallow slim tablets with slow & steady release
- Non GMO Project Verified, 100 Percent Vegetarian, Kosher, Certified Gluten Free by NSF, Sustainably Harvested
Choosing the right supplements can reduce the effects of aging and help you retain your youth longer!
Boost Your Immune System and Immunity
Another problem is that as you age your resistance to illnesses weakens. You can help prevent certain diseases when you have a stable diet, and you are in taking the dietary supplements you need.
Two of the most important supplements for your immune system are Vitamin C and Zinc. I take zinc before bed each night, and I consistently take a Vitamin C supplement all year round (even though I am not over 40 years old yet). Both of these nutrients help in optimizing the performance of white blood cells.
According to one study which was published by The Nutrition Society,
“Zn is an essential trace element for all organisms. In human subjects body growth and development is strictly dependent on Zn. The nervous, reproductive and immune systems are particularly influenced by Zn deficiency, as well as by increased levels of Zn.”
Likewise, as stated in another research study,
“Several cells of the immune system can indeed accumulate vitamin C and need the vitamin to perform their task, especially phagocytes and t-cells. Thus a vitamin C deficiency results in a reduced resistance against certain pathogens whilst a higher supply enhances several immune system parameters.”
If you would like to try a supplement which contains both zinc and Vitamin C for improving your immune system, I suggest:
- DOCTOR FORMULATED Immune System Boost Complex - it has been proven that Zink, l-lysine and bioflavonoids significantly increase the efficiency rate of vitamin C
- REDUCE CHANCE OF COLD SORES w/ L-LYSINE, well known anti-viral support agent helps reduce occurrences of viral infections, especially cold sores and mouth blisters.
- IMMUNE SUPPORT with 1000 MG of vitamin C . In an easy to swallow and absorb vegetable capsule.
- ANTI-AGING SUPPORT - vitamin C is required for production and maintenance of collagen, and bioflavonoids protect your skin against damages, and help to “rejuvenate from the inside out.”
- ANTI INFLAMMATORY - Zinc is known as anti-inflammatory agent, and Bioflavonoids help to decrease inflammation process during inflammatory conditions.
Especially for men over 40, taking supplements to enhance your immune system can help ward off annoying diseases or illnesses all year!
Reduce the Risk of Cancer
Especially as you begin to age, it becomes much more important to eat healthy foods filled with a variety of nutrients- to keep your body healthy.
However, there are times when food intake is not enough to keep you free from diseases, so you need to take dietary supplements to reduce the risk of getting ill.
Some foods have earned the reputation as “cancer-fighting” foods, and there are supplements which help defend against cancer as well. For example, one of the benefits of melatonin is that it reduces the risk of several different types of cancer.
According to a study published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology,
“Melatonin, the chief secretory product of the pineal gland, is a direct free radical scavenger, an indirect antioxidant, as well as an important immunomodulatory agent. In both in vitro and in vivo investigations, melatonin protected healthy cells from radiation-induced and chemotherapeutic drug–induced toxicity. Furthermore, several clinical studies have demonstrated the potential of melatonin, either alone or in combination with traditional therapy, to yield a favorable efficacy to toxicity ratio in the treatment of human cancers.”
I my opinion, the best melatonin supplement you can purchase is:
- 3mg melatonin per serving. Melatonin may help with relief of occasional sleeplessness* (Results may vary)
- 260 tablets, an 8 month supply (taken daily at the listed serving size
- No artificial colors, flavors or chemical preservatives
- Vegan and gluten free
- Packaged in a Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) facility in the USA
Taking the right dietary supplements can help reduce your risk of developing cancer and more.
Provide Nutrients You Might Lack from Your Diet
Overall, the main reason that men over 40, or anyone, should take dietary supplements, is to provide nutrients that your diet is lacking.
Some people have nutrient deficiencies due to an illness or their lifestyle, and dietary supplements can adequately fill in this void. According to a study published in the Nutrition Journal,
“A balanced and varied diet is the best source of essential vitamins and minerals; however, nutrient deficiencies occur, including in populations with bountiful food supplies and the means to procure nutrient-rich foods. For example, the typical American diet bears little resemblance to what experts recommend for fruit, vegetables, and whole grains, which serve as important sources of an array of vitamins and minerals.”
If you don’t like eating vegetables, you might lack folic acid, and you need this nutrient to repair damaged cells and create new ones. With dietary supplements, you can supply your body with folic acid!
Conversely, if you are a vegetarian, your body might not have enough Vitamin B 12; and you need this nutrient to keep your blood cells healthy. You usually get it from eating meat like beef and fish. However, if you are a vegetarian, you can take a dietary supplement instead to make it up.
Supplements can help bridge the gap and provide you with essential nutrients. They can offer vital support to your health at any age. You can find the best supplements for men over 40 online if you cannot find supplements in local stores.
Your body needs nutrients to survive and protect you against illnesses. It can be difficult to pin down what nutrients are in your daily food intake; however, by using dietary supplements, you can have greater control over the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients you ingest!
In fact, a simple multivitamin supplement can help fill many of the nutritional gaps you are having problems with. According to the same study published in the Nutrition Journal,
“In addition to the utility of MVMs for filling in relatively small but critical nutritional gaps, which may help prevent conditions such as anemia, neural tube defects, and osteoporosis, some evidence supports possible benefits of MVM supplementation with regard to cancer prevention (particularly in men) and prevention or delay of cataract, as well as some aspects of cognitive performance… The potential benefits of MVM supplements likely outweigh any risk in the general population and may be particularly beneficial for older people.”
If you are interested in using a general multivitamin which will cover many nutrition deficiencies, I suggest:
- ONE DAILY MEN'S: Specially formulated men's multivitamin with prostate support made from nutritious and organic whole foods
- VITAMINS AND MINERALS: Once a day multivitamin for men with 15 vitamins and minerals at 100percentage DV or higher
- PROSTATE SUPPLEMENT: my kind's vegan multivitamin for men includes selenium for prostate health, B vitamins for energy and heart health, and D3 vitamin from lichen
- METHYLCOBALAMIN: Keep your energy and metabolism up with 300percentage Daily Value of Vitamin B12
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC MULTIVITAMIN: Vegan, gluten free, non GMO verified whole food multivitamin with NO synthetic binders or fillers
Top Supplements for Men Over 40
Check out my list of the best supplements for men over 40, below! This list is in no particular order, and each are equally as valuable as the others in my opinion. I have shown a few of my favorite supplements for men over 40 above, and you can find information about many of these other supplements on my website as well!
- Fish Oil (or Shark Cartilage)
- CBD Oil
- Vitamin D
- Folic Acid
- Maca Root
- Citrulline Malate
- Your Super Superfoods Powders