I am not a bodybuilder, but my experience as a professional basketball player has helped me to develop (what I believe is) the best cutting stack ever. Over the course of my career, I have worked on building lean muscle mass every opportunity possible.
Of course, spending hour after hour in the weight room and doing extra training is helpful; but it is nearly impossible to gain significant amounts of lean muscle mass and remain in good enough physical condition to play basketball at the same time.
Fortunately, I developed a supplement stack that I can rely on any time I need it to help me lose weight quickly after a bulking cycle. Honestly, this is one of the healthiest and fastest ways to lose weight for men or women.
I am not here to fool you with magic pills and “legal steroid alternatives”, my weight loss stack is focused on increasing your metabolism and making it legitimately easier to help you burn fat without losing all of your muscle!
Interested to know my secret formula?
Check it out below!
Is it Necessary to Have a Cutting Stack?
Unless you have ever competed in a bodybuilding competition you might not be too familiar with the term “cutting,” although it’s pretty easy to understand.
Bulking is building muscle, and cutting is burning fat.
However, the key point about cutting is that you are stripping away all the fat left behind by your “bulk.” Some people choose to do a “slower” method of bulking which typically involves adding less body fat, while others do a more dramatic bulk where they add a ton of weight overall.
Personally, my bulking season is always somewhere in between. During the off-season (or when I was injured for a significant amount of time), I always put my body through a period of bulking. I am not overly-muscular genetically, so I have to use the time I have effectively.
It is legitimately impossible to build muscle during a basketball season because of the amount of running and cardiovascular conditioning we do, making it even more important to bulk (and cut) as effectively as possible.
If you are not in a situation like I am, and you are not a professional bodybuilder, having a weight loss stack can help you get ready for beach season- if nothing else! Regardless of your reason for needing a cutting stack, my combination of supplements for weight loss can help you out!
What is the Best Cutting Stack?
Before I break down each component of my weight loss stack, I will give you an overview quickly. There are any other products that would fit this list (such as Black Seed Oil), but I chose only my true favorites.
The fat stripping supplements I use in my cutting stack are:
If you are surprised that you don’t see any stimulant containing supplements on this list, don’t be! Many weight loss products or weight loss stacks rely on stimulant-containing fat burners which provide quick results. Instead, I used a supplement stack which relies on improving your bodies basal metabolic rate and your ability to burn more calories over an extended period.
Believe it or not, fat burners can easily cause you to gain additional weight in the long-run. Although there are some which are effective short-term, most fat burners will disrupt your metabolism, hormones, and adrenal glands.
Instead of using a fat burning supplement, I prefer to use the fat loss stack listed above and get my daily dose of caffeine from green tea or Bulletproof Coffee!
Now that you know all of the ingredients I use in my supplement stack for cutting let’s examine each!
1.) Citrulline Malate
Citrulline is commonly found in the rind of watermelons, which is why it is necessary to use a Citrulline Malate supplement. There are many reasons that citrulline malate is on this list. I consider citrulline malate to be a “super supplement” ahead of nearly all others.
I use this whether I am bulking, cutting, or in the middle of my basketball season.
The primary way that citrulline malate will help you burn fat is by increasing your abilities in the weight room. If you are searching for a cutting stack, I assume that you are training often- and this should be a happily accepted benefit.
Citrulline malate helps remove lactic acid from your muscles, and also stops the build-up of lactic acid from your muscles while you are training. Along with this, citrulline malate increases nitric oxide production allowing nutrients to flow throughout your body easily.
A weight loss stack should simply increase your metabolism through the use of stimulants; it should help you naturally improve your metabolism to create a leaner and more aesthetic physique.
Using citrulline malate as a part of a weight loss stack may sound unique, but it will help you increase the work capacity of your average workout enough that you will be amazed you ever tried to lose weight without it!
In my opinion, the best Citrulline Malate product is PrimaForce Citrulline Malate. I have been using this product for years, and I am confident you will see the same benefits from using it as I have!
- HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS: Lab-tested for potency and purity. We use only the best quality pharmaceutical-grade, clinically-tested ingredients that are backed by the latest research and development to enhance your workout
- ENHANCES MUSCLE GROWTH: Shown to increase muscle mass and strength, can improve overall athletic performance.
- SUPPORTS ENDURANCE: Enables you to exercise longer and harder by removing ammonia from your body before it can cause muscle fatigue. Improving stamina means you can push your workouts to the next level
- PROMOTES RECOVERY: Helps your muscles recover after a hard and intense workout
2.) Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs)
t that I do.
There are three branch chain amino acids, they are:
Unlike the other amino acids commonly found in our diet, these three are absorbed much quicker. Although whey protein is absorbed very quickly by our bodies, BCAAs are still much faster.
The benefit of using BCAAs is that you will build muscle much easier, and your overall metabolism will increase throughout the day.
Caffeine spikes your metabolism for a short amount of time, but your metabolism slows down after repeated exposure to high amounts of stimulants. Essentially, your metabolism forgets how to work by itself.
Raising your metabolism through an increase in lean muscle mass is a much safer way to lose weight, and it is far more effective overall.
A study on the effects of BCAAs through the College of Charleston Human Performance Laboratory concluded that,
“ingestion of a supplement containing BCAAs while following an 8-week resistance training program resulted in a greater decrease in percent body fat, an increase in lean mass, and 10-RM strength gains on the bench press and squat vs. ingestion of a whey supplement or a sports drink.”
As the research indicates, if you are consistently using BCAAs- whether it is before, during, or after your training sessions, you will build more muscle and lose more body fat.
In my opinion, the best BCAA supplement is Scivation Xtend. There are other BCAA products which I often use as well, but Scivation Xtend is my all-time favorite!
- The World's #1 BCAA Brand with 7G of BCAAs Per Serving
- 0 Stimulants, Sugar, Calories, or Carbs
- 2.5g Added Glutamine + Electrolytes
- NSF & Informed Choice Certified
Read More: Scivation Xtend BCAA Review
3.) Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
CLA is found naturally in beef and dairy, and it is easily one of the best weight loss supplements. Many people do not know this, but CLA is one of the few supplements ever to prove the ability to increase lean muscle mass and burn body fat at the same time.
Everyone would love to lose weight and build muscle at the same time, but it is normally impossible. Although it is still difficult to do even when you are using CLA, the possibility is there!
As stated in a study posted in Lipids,
“Mice fed a CLA‐supplemented diet exhibited 57% and 60% lower body fat and 5%, and 14% increased lean body mass relative to controls… The effects of CLA on body composition appear to be due in part to reduced fat deposition and increased lipolysis in adipocytes, possibly coupled with enhanced fatty acid oxidation in both muscle cells and adipocytes.”
CLA is a healthy polyunsaturated fatty acid that you must use in supplement form since it is very difficult to obtain enough through your diet alone.
If you would like to purchase a CLA supplement, my personal suggestion is Bulk Supplements CLA.
- Clean & pure softgels. No fillers.
- Lab tested for verification & guaranteed purity
- Boosts immune system
- Burns fat & increases muscle mass
- Increases metabolic rate
As a study published in the European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences indicated,
“Although preliminary, our findings suggest that a bio-available form of curcumin is well-tolerated and can positively influence weight management in overweight people.”
Turmeric is not considered a weight loss supplement often, but it certainly could be. To be honest, turmeric is more of a general health supplement. However, that doesn’t diminish the fact that turmeric is excellent for helping you to cut fat off.
There are many issues with running a successful cutting cycle, and one of the main ones is that your body will normally wear down during this time. When you are trying to cut off fat, you most likely will decrease your calories per day, while also increasing your amount of training.
Not only is it likely that your body will wear down and become tired quickly, but it is also natural and impossible to avoid.
Turmeric improves your body in numerous ways from the first days you use it, and you will quickly realize it should have been in your cutting stack all along!
Although there are multiple ways in which turmeric can help you lose weight, the main function is that supplementing with turmeric helps to counteract adipose tissue inflammation, and improve overall insulin-resistance.
Using a turmeric supplement while you are cutting will make it easier for your body to handle carbohydrates (by not converting them into fat), and help fat metabolize off your body easier.
Along with this, the potent antioxidants are sure to improve your basal metabolic rate as well! As you can see, turmeric is a deserving weight loss solution!
Although there are many quality turmeric supplements that you can choose from, my personal suggestion is Nuvana Nutrition Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine and Ginger.
- POWERFUL ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTI-INFLAMMATORY - Unlike our competitors, our turmeric blend (with BioPerine and Curcuma Longa with 95% standardized Curcuminoids) is created using only the highest grade and most potent NATURAL INGREDIENTS. An herbal remedy that drastically helps reduce body discomfort, our turmeric blend also promotes HEART HEALTH while helping your immune and digestive system. This means MORE MOBILITY, LESS PAIN and a HEALTHIER, HAPPIER YOU.
- ARE YOU TIRED OF ALWAYS FEELING DISCOMFORT IN YOUR BODY? - Are your joints frequently feeling swollen, ceased up and immobile? Are simple tasks like standing up, picking up your keys sore on your body? We designed our formula to GIVE YOU THE RELIEF YOU DESERVE, grab your keys, turn the door handle without feeling that sharp pain in your fingers, and go about your daily life like you used to do, WITHOUT THE STRUGGLE. This PREMIUM PRODUCT works great for Women, Men and Seniors.
- ALL NATURAL & NON-GMO! No preservatives, no hormones, no artificial ingredients, no antibiotics, no gluten, no sugar, no dairy, no wheat, no yeast, no soy. Our Turmeric Dietary Supplement is PROUDLY MADE IN THE U.S.A. in an FDA-Registered facility. This product is GMP-certified to ensure the highest quality and purity
- BLACK PEPPER EXTRACT FOR BEST ABSORPTION | Black pepper extract has been shown to improve the bioavailability of many herbs and spices. Our Turmeric Curcumin Extract with Bioperine Black Pepper Extract provides a much better absorption than consuming turmeric capsules alone.
- HIGH-QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS FROM A BRAND YOU CAN TRUST: At Nuvana, we use only the highest-quality ingredients, produced under strict quality standards and inspection in a GMP certified & FDA registered facility right here in the USA!
Learn More: Turmeric for Weight Loss
5.) Green Tea Extract
I often hate to tell people to use green tea extract for weight loss because I feel like an infomercial, but this is one supplement the fitness industry got right. There is no denying that green tea extract is great for helping you lose weight, and I will be the first one to tell you.
As I said before, I prefer to drink green tea as my main source of caffeine. However, I still use additional green tea extract when I am trying to shred fat off.
Drinking green tea before or after exercise is a great way to burn fat, but adding some additional green tea extract supplements is even more effective!
There have been many studies on the ability of green tea extract to assist with weight loss, and they all have shown similar conclusions. Amazingly, green tea has weight loss benefits beyond the metabolism increase from its caffeine content.
As stated in a study produced in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition,
“Green tea has thermogenic properties and promotes fat oxidation beyond that explained by its caffeine content.”
Fortunately, there are many cheap and effective green tea extract supplements on the market.
I highly recommend that you use your green tea extract only after you have had at least one meal. I don’t recommend using green tea on an empty stomach, because it always makes me incredibly nauseous.
Maybe I am the only one this happens to, but I suggest you avoid doing so.
When you are trying to burn an additional amount of fat from your body, supplementing with green tea extra is the most logical choice!
Although I have not used a green tea extract supplement myself recently, after reviewing the options on Amazon, my suggestion is to choose Zenwise Green Tea Extract with EGCG & Vitamin C.
- Maximum potency Green Tea, plus Vitamin C - This natural blend of Green Tea Extract (with EGCG catechin + Polyphenols) and Vitamin C supports immune function, skin, energy, and weight for men and women.
- Powerful Immune Support - Featuring 98% Polyphenols and 60 mg of Vitamin C, this formula contains powerful antioxidants that make this daily supplement the best boost for your immune system.
- Increase your metabolism & shed pounds - The 50% EGCG in these vegan and non GMO Green Tea supplements elevate metabolism as a solution to reach your weight and fitness goals.
- Better Memory & Focus - The properties in Green Tea Extract can help to increase cognition and memory processing to give your brain the fuel it needs to feel sharp and focused for your busy day.
- Healthy Skin, Heart & Liver - This dual antioxidant complex may help with loss of skin elasticity for anti aging support, while also promoting cardiovascular health and optimal liver function.
6.) Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil)
For those of you who don’t know, CBD is a cannabinoid found on the cannabis plant. Cannabidiol oil has many beneficial effects for the human body, and one of the least known is that cannabidiol oil is great for helping you to lose weight!
I have been using CBD for over a year now and have officially been through one full cutting cycle using it. Without a doubt in my mind, I will never try to lose weight without CBD oil again!
I take CBD Oil primarily before I train in the morning and before sleep, but you can use it more often as well.
Many people assume CBD makes you gain weight because it is an oil, and they believe they will get the “munchies” like after they smoked marijuana.
This is an incredible myth, and I am hoping people stop to believe it soon.
CBD is not psychoactive at all and does not cause a dramatic increase in appetite. However, CBD does help your body maintain a state of homeostasis- where it is perfectly ready to burn fat easier than ever.
Many people have not heard of the Endocannabinoid system, but it is an incredibly vital part of the human body. It is responsible for regulating homeostasis within the body and many more functions, and we still do not completely understand its role.
CBD assists with regulating our Endocannabinoid system, which is why it has immense potential for weight loss.
CBD is often used to manage stress, anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues, and it is just as effective for physical health issues as well. Many people report using CBD for chronic pain in various parts of their body, and I used it for treating back pain.
Although the weight loss effects of CBD are not conclusive, there are a few studies on the effect of cannabis and weight loss. There are many potential reasons for why CBD helps you lose weight, including that it can normalize your metabolism and help you train with less physical pain or muscle soreness.
As stated in a study conducted by Medical Hypotheses,
“THC or a THC/cannabidiol combination drug may produce weight loss and may be a useful therapeutic for the treatment of obesity and its complications.”
As I said before, I love using CBD oil before I train. Not only does it relax my mind and help me focus on the workout, but I feel far less muscle soreness and fatigue while training after using CBD oil.
There are many forms of CBD that you can use, but I prefer to mix mine into coffee or tea and make a “CBD Lattee” like in the video below.
In my opinion, CBD is an excellent weight loss supplement.
Concluding Thoughts – Best Cutting Supplement Stack
As you can probably tell, my opinion on the best supplements to help you burn fat are much different than everyone else. In my opinion, the best way to burn fat without losing all of your hard-earned muscle is to:
- Increase Lean Muscle Mass
- Increase Basal Metabolic Rate
- Improve Your Internal Health and Daily Energy Levels
- Improve Your Mental Health and Self-Confidence
Instead of focusing your attention on “fat burners” which claim to help increase your metabolism by 500%, stick with weight loss supplements that will support your body long-term.
If you choose to use the supplement stack listed above for your next cutting cycle, there is an excellent chance you will retain much more muscle mass when you finally reach your desired body fat.
I believe in the supplements listed above, and I hope you have the same success when you use them as I do!