Microneedling, which is otherwise known as Collagen Induction Therapy, is a method used by dermatologists to treat various skin conditions. This method utilizes tiny, sterile needles that penetrate specific areas of your skin, causing a specific trauma, and stimulating your skin’s natural collagen production.
The trauma caused by the microneedling promotes the derma (a deeper layer of the skin) to rebuild itself, which is why it is such an effective procedure for many people.
The result of microneedling is that your skin will produce more collagen, retain elasticity for longer, and look and feel more youthful!
Keep reading below to learn whether or not you can try microneedling at home on your own, as well as other health benefits of microneedling!
What Skin Conditions is Microneedling Good For?
A few of the notable skin conditions that microneedling can help fix include:
- Fine Lines or Wrinkles
- Acne Scars
- Skin Pigmentation Problems
- Stretch Marks
- Loose Skin
- Aging Skin (Age Spots or Sun Spots)
- Large Pores
- Reduced or Fading Skin Elasticity
- Uneven Skin Tone
The Microneedling Procedure
Although it seems complicated, the microneedling procedure is relatively simple. However, that doesn’t mean you should try microneedling at home without a professional!
As I said before, microneedling works by promoting your skin to produce more collagen. The idea is that the tiny needles used in the procedure cause a slight injury to the skin surface, and the skin responds by making new tissue.
However, the benefit is that the new skin tissue is more even in tone and texture, which reduces or eliminates the skin issues you are trying to deal with.
Along with the effect of the needles themselves, professionals can use microneedling to deposit medication (for example, topical tretinoin or Vitamin C) deep into the skin. Using “medicated” needles for microneedling can improve the treatment of a variety of issues, including acne scars.
Since it is normal for the skin to lose collagen via age or injury, encouraging the skin to make new tissue through microneedling, is one of the best ways to promote elastic and firm skin.
The Procedure Itself
Before you begin your procedure, the first step is that the doctor will use a topical anesthetic product to reduce the chance of feeling pain.
During the process, your doctor will make small pricks under your skin with a pen-like tool. These pinpricks are microscopic, and you won’t see them after your procedure. Throughout the procedure, your doctor will slowly and carefully move the device across your skin, so that your skin regenerates evenly.
Overall, the treatment will take about 30-minutes to one hour, with some additional preparation time before you begin as well.
Learn More: What Microneedling Services Can Do for Your Skin
Microneedling at Home – Can You Do It?
Although going to a doctor for a microneedling procedure is the best option, microneedling at home is still beneficial, and it is much more affordable! A microneedling tool (also known as a dermaroller) can cost around $200, while the average cost of a microneedling session is $625.
Microneedling at home is not as effective as going to the doctor, but it is very beneficial in many ways.
The main difference between microneedling at home and going to a doctor for the procedure is that the at-home method does not penetrate your skin as deeply and does not produce the same quality of results. However, it does provide many similar results, only with less effectiveness.
Microneedling at home has become more popular in recent years, especially as more famous YouTube and Instagram stars continue to create videos and promotions of themselves using the procedure for themselves.
If you want to try micro-needling at home, you need to be careful!
Risks of Micro-Needling at Home
Micro-needling at home is a generally safe procedure, but there are some aspects you need to be aware of. For starters, the device you use will probably be challenging to clean, and it might become dull quickly.
When you are trying a procedure such as this at home, you need to be extremely aware of your hygiene and sanitation. Attempting this at-home procedure has a high risk of creating an infection, creating skin discoloration, or injuring your skin.
However, if you are conscious about keeping only sterile tools and devices around you, you can easily avoid any issues.
Best DIY Microneedling Product
If you are interested in trying DIY microneedling, there are many options to look through. After reviewing the various options, from cheap to expensive products, I have found two different options which I think are the best.
The first is a cheaper DIY microneedling product. I chose the ZustBeauty Derma Roller Kit as a “cheaper” option because it comes with three different sized “heads” for microneedling, so you can have different options for different parts of your face or body. Also, this product comes with a Vitamin C serum and collagen cream which you can use as well.
This product has very good reviews on Amazon, and I believe that it is the most effective, affordable microneedling at home option!
- HOME THERAPY KIT– Give your skin some TLC with our skin care bundle set containing a 3-in-1 derma roller and Vitamin C 25% Hyaluronic Serum with Collagen Cream and Beginner-Friendly User Instructions! Our roller is 0.3mm, which is slightly more effective than 0.25mm.
- REPLACEMENT HEADS– Our Derma Roller Comes in 3 roller heads: 180 needles, 600 needles and 1200 needles, each designed for ideal use for eye, face and body area! Don’t spend extra to purchase rollers over again! Just simply replace the heads and save the cost of buying another for each targeted area!
- COLLAGEN– Derma roller treatments can often leave the skin in need of calming and boost of collagen. We have included a unique Collagen cream in our skin care kits, so you apply it to your skin after treatment for instant calming and glowing effects with enriching collagen. Each of our creams contains enriching collagen to supple the derma roller effect!
- ALL IN ONE SERUM– Our upgraded Vitamin C & Hyaluronic Serum is rich in Vitamin C which can brighten your skin to 6 times of the effect. It is capable of promoting the synthesis of skin collagen whilst reducing the melanin precipitation.
- ELEGANT GIFT BOX– Surprise a friend or loved one with our ultimate skin care bundle. Our box is perfectly designed as the ideal gift for Birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mother’s Day, Valentines Day, Anniversaries and more. Your friend or relative will be able to pamper their skin and achieve fabulous effects from our excellent kit. Suitable for men and women with all skin types
If you are interested in a more expensive at home microneedling option, you can try the Dr. Pen Ultima A7 Professional Microneedling Pen. This is a very advanced tool which would even be used when you order professional services. Although it is a bit more costly, it is a bit more effective.
- GET THE GLOW: Use professional tools to promote beautiful healthy skin, in the comfort of your home
- 1000's OF HAPPY CUSTOMERS, and you will be happy with our micro needle derma pen
- NEWEST MODEL:Our microneedling dermapen is here to stimulate a healthy glow, collagen boosting, hair growth, reduce wrinkles, acne scars, stretch marks
- QUALITY REDEFINED: Our Dr.Pen Ultima A7 Pen is developed on the basis of the highest American Standards
- We are confident in our microneedling pen and offer RISK-FREE MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Both of these are great options, it just depends on your budget!
Concluding Thoughts – Should You Try At-Home Microneedling?
As you can see, microneedling is a legitimate skin treatment that can truly improve your skin complexion, health, and longevity.
Not only is there a lot of hype about this procedure, but it is also validated through research as well. According to a 2008 study produced in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery,
“Percutaneous collagen induction was started in 1997 and has proved to be a simple and fast method for safely treating wrinkles and scars. As opposed to ablative laser treatments, the epidermis remains intact and is not damaged. For this reason, the procedure can be repeated safely and is also suited to regions where laser treatments and deep peels cannot be performed.”
However, the question remains whether you should try this procedure at home or only at a doctors office.
I believe microneedling at home is a safe alternative to the more expensive option. If you want to try this procedure at home, make sure that you are using an extremely safe and sterile environment.
The most significant risk of using a dermaroller at home is causing an infection, but you can avoid these issues easily.
Overall, microneedling at home is an effective way to improve your skin for now and the future!