If you are you looking for the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain, the 10 supplements on this list are exactly what you need.
Over the course of my basketball career, I have used a variety of natural supplements to improve my physical conditioning, build lean muscle mass, and lower my body fat percentage.
In my opinion, the 10 best supplements for muscle gain and weight loss are (in no particular order):
- Citrulline Malate
- Creatine Monohydrate
- CBD Oil
- Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs)
- Beta Alanine
- Fish Oil
Throughout the article, I will also provide suggestions for each of these products which I have used before or believe to be the best quality, for the best price. Although I do earn affiliate commissions for these items, I only suggest them to you because I believe they are the best options. Feel free to check out my suggestions!
If you are interested in learning more about each of these weight loss and muscle building supplements, keep reading below!
The Best Supplements for Muscle Gain and Weight Loss
Although there are some specific supplements which combine a few of these ingredients, I do suggest buying many of these products separately. That way, you can easily purchase the best supplements for your needs. If you decide to use all of these supplements (which I do suggest), I am confident you will see a significance difference in your ability to gain muscle, lose body fat, and develop an aesthetic physique!
Although citrulline malate is one of the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain, it is still relatively unknown.
Citrulline malate creates vasodilation, which is when your blood vessels dilate and allow for better blood flow throughout your body. Due to this, citrulline malate increases human growth hormone (HGH) production, increases the flow of nutrients throughout your body, and stimulates better responses from your circulatory system.
Studies have shown that taking citrulline malate before training increases your work capacity and decreases muscle soreness after training.
The best options for using citrulline malate are about 30-minutes before your training sessions, or about 1-hour before you go to sleep.
In my opinion, the best citrulline malate product is:
- HIGHEST QUALITY: Lab-tested for potency and purity. We use only pharmaceutical-grade, clinically-tested ingredients that are backed by the latest research and development.
- ENHANCES MUSCLE GROWTH: Shown to increase muscle mass and strength, can improve overall athletic performance.
- SUPPORTS ENDURANCE: Enables you to exercise longer and harder by removing ammonia from your body before it can cause muscle fatigue. Improving stamina means you can push your workouts to the next level
- PROMOTES RECOVERY: Helps your muscles recover after a hard and intense workout
- Supports endurance^Potent arginine precursor^Supports recovery
L-carnitine is generally known only as a weight loss supplement, but it is useful for building muscle as well. In fact, l-carnitine is one of the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain.
According to a study published in the journal Current Drug Metabolism,
“L-carnitine transports the chains of fatty acids into the mitochondrial matrix, thus allowing the cells to break down fat and get energy from the stored fat reserves.”
Due to this, L-carnitine is useful for both building muscle and losing weight. In fact, it is one supplement which helps you build lean muscle mass and burn body fat nearly at the same time!
L-carnitine also helps your body feel stronger and more energized, which will help you have more successful workouts.
Personally, my favorite l-carnitine product is:
- NATURAL, HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS SUPPLEMENT - L-Carnitine is a natural amino acid that has been shown to help facilitate the transfer of fatty acids in order to increase energy production, stimulate fat loss, and reduce muscle fatigue.
- PROVEN STIMULANT FREE FAT BURNER - L-Carnitine plays an essential role in converting fat into a usable energy source and has been shown in numerous studies to support fat loss and aid in muscle preservation during training, making it a powerful, stimulant free fat burner supplement for men and women.
- LOW RISK METABOLISM BOOSTER - By helping convert fat to usable energy and enabling the body to use that energy as fuel, RSP Nutrition L-Carnitine becomes a potent supplement that helps boost metabolism, enhance athletic performance, and reduce fatigue with no jitters, and no stimulants.
- SAFE & COMPREHENSIVE FORMULA - Every RSP Nutrition L-Carnitine capsule contains 500mg of 100% pharmaceutical grade L-Carnitine, formulated for maximum potency and efficacy, ensuring comprehensive weight loss support, making it a safe alternative to typical fat burners and diet pills.
- 100% TESTED & GMP CERTIFIED - All ingredients in RSP Nutrition L-Carnitine are scientifically researched, tested, and manufactured in a GMP certified lab and contain no artificial colors, preservatives, or fillers.
Outside of whey protein powder (which you might be surprised to not see on my list) creatine monohydrate is probably the most widely used of the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain.
Creatine monohydrate increases your muscle size and helps you have more energy for training by drawing additional water into your cells and improving your conversion of energy.
According to a study published in the International Sport Med Journal,
“Creatine supplementation may alter skeletal muscle directly, by increased muscle glycogen and phosphocreatine, faster phosphocreatine resynthesis, increased expression of endocrine and growth factor mRNA, or indirectly, through increased training volume.”
Creatine is a relatively easy supplement to use, and most people have excellent results simply taking 5 grams of creatine per day with a source of carbohydrates. Although you can take creatine specifically before or after training, the effect is relatively similar no matter when you take your dosage.
After a course of 6-8-weeks, you will notice the lean muscle mass building and fat loss properties of creatine!
There are many good creatine monohydrate products, but I prefer:
- PURE 100% MICRONIZED CREATINE - Every serving of RSP Nutrition Creatine powder contains 5g of 100% pure Creatine Monohydrate which is one of the most thoroughly researched supplements in sports nutrition and has been shown to safely increase muscle strength, power, endurance, and cell volumization
- STRENGTH, RECOVERY, & LEAN MUSCLE GAIN - Pure Creatine Monohydrate has been shown to increase strength and lean muscle gains with minimal water retention, making it one of the most popular pre workout and post workout muscle recovery supplements for active men and women
- MICRONIZED CREATINE FOR ALL AGES - RSP Nutrition Creatine is pharmaceutical grade and optimized for optimal absorption. It has been shown to benefit people of all ages as it supports cognitive function, helps to decrease mental decline, and prevent muscle loss
- EASY TO MIX AND STACK - RSP Nutrition Creatine is unflavored and easy to mix with your favorite pre workout, post workout, and amino recovery products to enhance results
- SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN - RSP Creatine Monohydrate is one of the purest forms of Creatine you can buy. Research has consistently shown Creatine Monohydrate to be on the most beneficial ingredients available for those looking to increase lean muscle growth and promote optimal recovery
CBD oil is legally not a supplement or a medication, but regardless it is one of the best products for both muscle gain and weight loss.
For those of you who don’t know, CBD oil is produced from the cannabis plant. CBD is known as a “cannabinoid,” and there are over 80 known cannabinoids in existence. Unlike the other well-known cannabinoid THC, CBD does not cause any psychoactive effects, and it does not create any overwhelming sense of hunger.
Instead, the main role of CBD is to create homeostasis within your body. Notably, other commonly experienced beneficial effects of using CBD oil include reducing inflammation, decreasing chronic pain, and improving mood.
CBD oil also contains a plethora of healthy fatty acids, which are excellent for stimulating both testosterone and human growth hormone over time.
There are many different CBD products, including CBD oil tinctures, capsules, topical products, and much more, and all types of CBD products can improve your ability to lose weight and build muscle!
For example, you can start your morning with a matcha tea/CBD oil “latte” like I do! Check out this video to see:
Although CBD oil is not a conventional weight loss or muscle building supplement, it is certainly one of the 10 best because it can improve your body in so many ways!
If you are new to CBD products, two of my favorite CBD companies are:
Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs)
Of all the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain on this list, BCAAs are probably the most traditional muscle building and weight loss supplements.
Branch chain amino acids are essentially just grams of extremely easily digestible amino acids. Unlike complete proteins, these amino acids do not need to go through your stomach to be digested. Instead, they are absorbed directly through the blood stream to your muscles.
You can drink BCAAs before, during, or after your training sessions to help build more lean muscle mass and lower your body fat percentage.
According to a study produced in The Journal of Nutrition,
“BCAA supplementation before and after exercise has beneficial effects for decreasing exercise-induced muscle damage and promoting muscle-protein synthesis; this suggests the possibility that BCAAs are a useful supplement in relation to exercise and sports.”
Although there are many excellent BCAA products, without a doubt my two favorite products are:
RSP Nutrition Amino Lean and Scivation Xtend
- ALL-IN-ONE AMINO ENERGY & NATURAL WEIGHT MANAGEMENT- AminoLean was designed to be the most comprehensive amino acid weight management supplement for men and women available. We combined BCAAs & EAAs (essential amino acids) with a focus & energy blend and natural weight management ingredients to form the perfect amino energy supplement
- ANYTIME ENERGY AND PERFORMANCE - Each serving of AminoLean contains 125mg of Caffeine from the natural source of Green Tea Extract. It is formulated to take as a Pre Workout powder, Post Workout or anytime for the perfect energy boost without a crash or jitters. You can take 1-3 servings to customize the amount of energy that's right for you
- ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS FOR MUSCLE RECOVERY - Each serving of AminoLean contains 5g of Amino Acids, the perfect workout recovery supplement to help you recover faster and support lean muscle building. More complete than just regular BCAA powder, EAA powder contains everything your body needs to repair and build muscle
- A COMPREHENSIVE, NATURAL WEIGHT MANAGEMENT SUPPLEMENT - A scientifically formulated blend of Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA), L-Carnitine Powder, Green Tea Extract, and Green Coffee Bean promote natural weight management to help maintain a lean physique year-round
- ZERO SUGARS, CARBS, OR CALORIES - AminoLean has 0 sugars, 0 carbs and 0 calories; making it an extremely clean product for any diet. Additionally, it does not contain any gluten in its ingredients. *However there may be trace amounts, due to the environment it is processed in
- The World's #1 BCAA Brand with 7G of BCAAs Per Serving
- 0 Stimulants, Sugar, Calories, or Carbs
- 2.5g Added Glutamine + Electrolytes
- NSF & Informed Choice Certified
Read More: Scivation Xtend BCAA Review
Beta alanine is another muscle mass building and weight loss supplement which helps your body through increasing your workout capacity.
Beta alanine is especially effective because it buffers lactic acid build-up within the body, increasing your ability to do intense anaerobic workouts. Over time, you will develop much more lean muscle mass because you will be able to lift more weight and perform longer workouts.
Studies have shown that taking 3.2 grams of beta alanine per day is the optimal dose, and you should split this dosage up throughout your day.
In my opinion, the best beta-alanine supplement is:
- Help build lean muscle*
- Assist with recovery after exercise*
- Support the nervous system*
- Promote brain health*
Whether you drink a pre workout drink, coffee, or green tea before your workout, caffeine is one of the best supplements for muscle gain and weight loss.
There are many benefits of caffeine intake, including:
- Improved Focus and Concentration
- Increased Motivation for Training
- Increased Fat Oxidization
- Less Connection with Fatigue Receptors
- Reduced Soreness Following Training Sessions
Taking caffeine before a workout is directly beneficial for increasing your strength and training capacity, as well as your metabolic rate and fat burning.
Honestly, caffeine is one of the most important supplements to use before working out!
Although there are tons of pre workout products which can help you both build muscle and lose weight, my favorite is:
- America's #1 Pre-Workout Brand
- 150mg of Caffeine Per Serving
- 0 Sugar, 0 Calories, and 0 Carbs Per Serving
- C4 Ripped Weight Loss Blend
- 1.6g CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine
In my opinion, there is no doubt that l tyrosine is one of the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain, although it is entirely different than the other supplements on my list.
According to a study published in the Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research,
“Tyrosine is used by the body to make the neurotransmitter noradrenaline. Noradrenaline is believed to be in short supply in the brains of people who are depressed. Tyrosine may help athletes avoid overtraining, due to its ability to offset fatigue.”
Since L-tyrosine is a pre-cursor of dopamine, usin an L-tyrosine supplement can:
- Heighten Mental Alertness
- Increase Feelings of Well-Being
- Decrease Feelings of Depression
- Combat Physical and Mental Fatigue
Along with being an amino acid itself, l-tyrosine will also help you build muscle and lose more weight through keeping your body physically and mentally “fresh.”
I believe the most cost-effective L-tyrosine supplement is:
- SUPPORTS MENTAL ALERTNESS*/NEUROTRANSMITTER SUPPORT*: Required for the production of the neurotransmitters dopamine, adrenaline, and noradrenaline, as well as for the skin pigment, melanin.* Noradrenaline and adrenaline are the main actors in the body’s response to acute stress and with dopamine help support a positive mood and mental alertness.*
- PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE/HEALTHY GLANDULAR FUNCTION*: L-Tyrosine is especially critical for the normal function of the thyroid gland.*
- CERTIFICATIONS/CLASSIFICATIONS: Dairy Free, Egg Free, Made without Gluten, Non-GMO, Nut Free, Soy Free
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968
Fish Oil is a substance composed of Essential Polyunsaturated Fatty-Acids, an Omega-3 Fatty Acid.
Although most people consider fish oil as a supplement for joint health, it is also one of the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain! Fish oil is excellent for helping you both lose weight and build lean muscle.
According to a study published in Diabetologia,
“DHA/EPA (from fish oil) and rosiglitazone exerted additive effects in prevention of obesity, adipocyte hypertrophy, low-grade adipose tissue inflammation, dyslipidaemia and insulin resistance, while inducing adiponectin, suppressing hepatic lipogenesis and decreasing muscle ceramide concentration. The improvement in glucose tolerance reflected a synergistic stimulatory effect of the combined treatment on muscle glycogen synthesis and its sensitivity to insulin.”
In other words, fish oils helps your body work more effectively through improving your body’s sensitivity to insulin and improving muscle glycogen synthesis. Both of these effects are excellent for your health, and for creating an aesthetic body!
When you are looking for a fish oil supplement to use, the main characteristics to look for are the content of Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Also, I highly suggest you choose a product that is specifically labeled “no fish burps” because those are extremely unpleasant!
Amongst numerous other benefits (which I will discuss below), fish oil contains squalene and other sterols which offer health benefits such as antioxidant and cardio-protective actions.
Natural Sources for Obtaining Fish Oil
Fish Oil is obtained by eating fish or taking easy-to-find supplements, rich in fish oils and beneficial for the body.
If you choose to try to add more fish to the diet, the following types of fish all provide large amounts of health benefits!
- Gray mullet
These all provide about 1 gram of Omega 3 fatty acids per every 3.5 ounces of weight.
Fish Oil supplements are usually made from mackerel, herring, tuna, salmon, halibut, mackerel, cod liver, and whale blubber. Supplements often also include small amounts of Vitamin-E to optimize the conservation of its formula.
Benefits of Fish Oil Supplements
Fish oil is effective in reducing the level of triglycerides (fats that are related to “bad” cholesterol) or blood pressure level. There is scientific evidence that suggests that it is possible to lower these high triglyceride levels with the supplementation of fish oil.
According to one study produced in the Annals of Internal Medicine,
“findings indicate that relatively small amounts of fish oil can have beneficial effects on plasma triglyceride levels in hypertriglyceridemic patients.”
Furthermore, fish oil supplementation also appears to prevent several health issues, such as:
- Heart disease and stroke risk can be reduced by approximately 27% through moderate consumption of fish according to research. However overly-large quantities of fish consumption appear to double the risk of strokes! So make sure you are only eating a controlled-steady diet of fish, but eat enough to obtain its many benefits!
- High blood pressure is effectively regulated with fish oil supplementation, as well as those with mild and moderate forms of hypertension.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Menstrual pains
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit Hyper Activity Disorder (ADHD) both can be treated to a certain extent with fish oil supplementation.
- Kidney Problems
- Various Eye Diseases
- High Cholesterol
An important part of fish oil is taking it at the right time. Taking your fish oil supplement at the proper time ensures you get the full benefits out of your omega-3 product. You can learn here the best time to take fish oil.
The most important part of obtaining all of these benefits is that you must find a quality product.
Fish oil, in any form that is not overwhelmingly pure, can have minor yet annoying negative side effects, and will not provide nearly as many benefits as it otherwise would.
Best Fish Oil Supplement
I have tried tons of different fish oil supplements, but my all-time favorite is Optimum Nutrition Fish Oil Capsules.
One of the issues with different fish oil supplements is that they can cause “fishy burps.” It is an obnoxious issue and one you don’t want to experience.
The Optimum Nutrition Fish Oil Capsules don’t cause that- or at least they never have for me!
Outside of the Optimum Nutrition fish oil product, I believe the best fish oil supplement is:
- BETTER THAN THE REST: Don't be fooled by cheap, mixed sourced Fish Oils claiming high quality. Our Fish Oil is sourced from ONLY Wild Alaska Pollock with 1099mg (88%) of triglyceride Omega-3s per softgel!
- BENEFITS: Provides Essential Fatty Acids that may help support brain, hair, skin and heart health.*
- PURE & CLEAN: We use AlaskOmega omega-3 fish oil sourced from only Wild Alaska Pollock from the Bering Sea. AlaskOmega omega-3 concentrates lead the market in oil freshness, with a maximum total oxidation (TOTOX) of 5!
- SUSTAINABLY SOURCED: AlaskOmega omega-3 concentrates are certified Sustainable and Traceable by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), the first omega-3 concentrate to achieve this distinction. Encapsulated in 'Pescatarian Friendly' fish gelatin capsule.
- 90 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: If you're not satisfied with our Omega-3 fish oil, simply return your product within 90 days for a refund.*
The last one of the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain on my list is melatonin!
Melatonin is the only true “sleep” supplement on this list, and it helps you lose weight and build muscle through improving your nightly sleep. However, that isn’t the only benefit of melatonin!
Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone within the human body, although with years humans are producing less and less of it. Due to this, we have a much more difficult time sleeping well each night, and we are consistently piling up “sleep debt.”
Along with improving your health through improving your nightly sleep and overall sleep cycle, melatonin stimulates growth hormone production which helps with increasing your basal metabolic rate, improving muscle recovery, and stimulating muscle growth.
As stated in a study published in Clinical Endocrinology,
“Our data indicates that oral administration of melatonin to normal human males increases basal GH (growth hormone) release and GH responsiveness to GHRH through the same pathways as pyridostigmine.”
For melatonin, it is normally more important to consider the dosage than the brand. Most melatonin products are equally effective (in my opinion), but the dosage is very important.
For most people, 1-3mg of melatonin each night is all that is necessary to make a positive impact. Although melatonin does not cause addiction or severe dependency, you still don’t want to overuse the product. There are many products which contain 5-10mg of melatonin, but I personally don’t ever use that much per night.
In my opinion, the best melatonin supplement is:
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- Helps Regulate Sleep Cycle*
- High Quality
Concluding Thoughts – The Best Supplements for Weight Loss and Muscle Gain
Although I have tried hundreds of different natural supplements, I know I can always count on these 10 to give me the results I am looking for, which is why i believe they are the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain.
One of the biggest problems with the dietary supplement industry is that many people are scammed by fancy marketing, and they never get to use products which will actually help them.
Choosing to use these 10-muscle growth and weight loss supplements will help you make positive changes to your body, because the research and evidence says they will work!