Dumbbells are one of the essential tools for strength training. There is strong evidence proving that resistance training with weights can help improve your quality of life and having the ability to do resistance training at home can significantly increase how frequently you work out.
Keep reading below to learn more about why you should purchase adjustable dumbbells for your home gym, what are the best adjustable dumbbells!
Why Should You Buy Adjustable Dumbbells?
Adjustable dumbbells are great space-saving tools. A pair of them can replace around fifteen or more fixed weights.
Adjustable dumbbells usually go from 3 or 5 lbs to a maximum of 90 lbs, and they will fit the needs of everyone at home.
Read on to find out more about adjustable dumbbells!
Related Reading: Home Gym Set Ups
How Do Adjustable Dumbbells Work?
There are currently three options for adjustable dumbbells in the market: sliding pins, rotating dials, and screw-lock dumbbells.
The systems allow you to set the weight that you want between sets. While adjustable dumbbells are designed to save space, the designs also aim to make the weight change process easy and efficient so you can have a quality workout without difficulty.
You do not want to waste time changing weights between each exercise, and you do not want fixed weights to clutter up your home.
Hence, adjustable dumbbells are popular for every level of trainee who wants to work out at home.
Pros and Cons of Adjustable Dumbbells
The biggest strength of adjustable dumbbells is the compact design. A pair can replace fifteen or more sets of fixed dumbbells.
While adjustable dumbbells are more expensive than the traditional kind, you will save more since you do not have to buy multiple pairs.
You can quickly change the weight up or down depending on the exercise you are doing. That’s why it’s useful to have them when you are doing super-sets, and you want to minimize the rest time.
While the higher price tag may be a con for most home users, it is cheaper to invest in a good pair of adjustable dumbbells. As you develop more strength and muscle, you will need heavier dumbbells, and that will add up.
There’s just one true downside to owning an adjustable dumbbell; they have more parts than a fixed one, which means they have more breakable parts. You may have to take more care when using adjustable dumbbells.
The 3 Best Adjustable Dumbbells of 2020
Ironmaster Adjustable Dumbbells
The Ironmaster Adjustable Dumbbells are a step-up from the traditional screw-lock dumbbells.
They have a patent for their unique Quick-Lock screws that allows you to change weights quickly.
The Ironmaster 45 lbs set retails at $399, and you can purchase upgrades when you need more weights.
The handles are steel with a chrome finish and have knurling. Ironmaster’s weight plates are steel with powdered coating.
They are square for even weight distribution, plus they will not roll away when you drop them.
- The Ironmaster has a lifetime warranty. They are also made of steel for durability.
- Being a screw-lock dumbbell, you have control of the weight increments during exercise.
- The design makes the adjustable dumbbell more compact than some rival brands, and it saves you plenty of space if you have the stand to store.
- Contrary to its name, the Ironmaster’s Quick-Lock system is not the quickest because of its weight-plate change system.
- They also get longer as you go heavier in weights, it can impact certain exercises like the chest press where you have to bring the weights towards each other.
PowerBlocks Adjustable Dumbbells
The PowerBlocks Adjustable Dumbbells use the sliding pin mechanism to change the heavier weights.
The price starts at $159 for the Sports series, or $299 in the Elite series.
The PowerBlocks brand has an option for almost every strength level, with the opportunity to upgrade with the expansion pack.
The PowerBlock has a unique rectangular shape, with the handle sitting in the center.
You can further adjust weights in 2.5 lbs or 5 lbs using the adder weights inside the handle. Changing the weight involves sliding the magnetic selector pin into the slot.
The slots are either numbered or color-coded, depending on the series. The weight stacks are steel with powder coating, while the handles have padding.
- The PowerBlock is one of the most compact systems when you compare it with the other brands.
- You do not need a stand to store the PowerBlock, and they take up little space in your home.
- The PowerBlock has even weight distribution with its square weights.
- It is more expensive, and the series are not compatible with each other.
- If you intend to expand later, you have to purchase the expandable versions or the Elite series.
- The expansion only goes up to 90 lbs per dumbbell, which may not be enough for serious bodybuilders.
Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells
The Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells use a selection dial for adjusting weights. The dials are at each end of the dumbbell.
The SelectTech 552 retails at $329, while the heavier 1090 pair is $599.
The SelectTech dumbbells come with their own casing for easy transportation. The padded handles are comfortable for heavy weightlifting.
The quick selector dial allows for quick weight change between workouts. The weights will stay inside the case until you need them.
The plates have plastic around metal plates for quieter workouts.
- You can quickly change the weights with the selector dial for supersets.
- The Bowflex is great if you are also trying to do asymmetrical workouts, as you can have different weights per side of a dumbbell.
- The Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells have a longer handle for a more comfortable grip, but it makes them bulky.
- The dumbbells are also less durable, and you should avoid dropping them to prevent damaging the brackets.
- You cannot upgrade or expand the dumbbells.
The Bottom Line – Choosing the Best Adjustable Dumbbells
Weight training does not only make you stronger, but it will also help make you feel happier and avoid chronic health diseases like diabetes. To do a quality workout at home, a pair of highly versatile dumbbells is an excellent piece of equipment to improve your training efficiency.
Adjustable dumbbells are invaluable to a home gym with its versatility and small space requirement. You can find one that suits your needs and budget without sacrificing quality.
Check out this website for more detailed reviews for each adjustable dumbbell and find out which one is best for you.