Eating a metabolism boosting breakfast is the backbone of a healthy weight loss plan.
In this article, you will find the best metabolism boosting breakfast foods and drinks that I believe you should consume to ignite your metabolism, provide energy for your day, and help promote healthy weight loss.
The Top 7 Foods and Drinks to Boost Your Metabolism at Breakfast
Personally, I do intermittent fasting nearly every day, so I don’t eat breakfast at the normal time as most other people. However, I still have a “break” “fast” (breakfast) meal every day. We all do!
Jump-starting your metabolism with your first meal of the day can have an amazing impact on both the amount of calories you burn and consume, along with how energized you feel throughout the day!
In fact, eating a metabolism boosting breakfast is one of the easiest home remedies for weight loss.
The metabolism boosting foods and drinks listed below will surely help you on your weight loss journey:
Oats are one of the best sources of carbohydrates and they are absolutely one of the best breakfast foods for your metabolism.
Oats contain a moderate amount of protein, a small bit of healthy dietary fat, and lots of healthy complex carbohydrates that will keep you satiated, nourished and energized throughout the beginning of your day.
Another good aspect of oats is that they contain fiber, which helps to regulate blood sugar and prevent insulin spikes that can slow down your metabolism.
There are also several ways that you can take oats for breakfast.
You can make a bowl of oatmeal, which is the traditional way of consuming oats, or you can purchase whole oat powder and add it to a smoothie in the morning.
I love eating oatmeal, and you can also add ingredients such as fruits (berries or bananas), nuts, seeds, and a healthy natural sweetener such as honey or maple syrup.
If you want to simply add oat powder to a smoothie because you don’t have as much time in the morning, I suggest this oat powder:
- COMPLEX CARBS: Slow-digesting carbohydrates in this oat powder keep you fuller longer (90 servings)
- 100% NATURAL: Our complex carbohydrate powder is Non-GMO keto-friendly and contains zero additives
- LOW GLYCEMIC LOAD: The low glycemic load and index make this a slow digesting carb powder and an...
- CONVENIENT OPTION: Whole oat powder is well-suited to those with an active lifestyle; no blender...
- SUITABLE FOR BAKING: Use this carb flour as a replacement for wheat flour in baking
Blueberries are rich in nutrients, yet low in calories. If you are looking for help with improving your overall health, blueberries are generally an excellent option. They are the most nutrient-dense berry and are readily available throughout many parts of the world.
Blueberries contain 85% water, and a cup of blueberries contains only 84 calories.
Other nutrients that you can find in one cup of blueberries include:
- Vitamin K: 36% of the Recommended Daily Allowance
- Vitamin C: 24% of the Recommended Daily Allowance
- Manganese: 25% of the Recommended Daily Allowance
- 4 grams of Fiber
Blueberries are a great metabolism-boosting breakfast food and they can go well on their own, in a smoothie, or in a bowl of oatmeal.
The fiber in blueberries will ensure stable blood sugar, which is crucial for a healthy metabolism. According to a study produced in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics,
“Daily blueberry consumption may reduce blood pressure and arterial stiffness, which may be due, in part, to increased nitric oxide production.”
Lowering blood pressure is one of the most important health benefits of blueberries since high blood pressure is a major cause of stroke, heart attack, and other deathly diseases.
Since blueberries are rich in a variety of vitamins and minerals, they provide nutrients that your metabolism requires to work in your body.
A study conducted in The Journal of Nutrition concluded that,
“Blueberries may improve selected features of metabolic syndrome and related cardiovascular risk factors at dietary achievable doses.”
In another study, research proved that
“a practically consumable quantity of blueberries (75 g) can provide statistically significant oxidative protection.”
However, you should be careful if you have trouble with acidic foods. Berries such as blueberries are acidic, and they may interrupt with your Alkaline Diet or cause other problems associated with eating acidic foods.
An Alkaline Diet Plan is a healthy option for most people, but if you don’t specifically require it, I wouldn’t avoid consuming berries for breakfast just because they are acidic!
You can use fresh blueberries or you could also use Kyani Sunrise, which contains Wild Alaskan Blueberries- an even better quality blueberry for your metabolism-boosting breakfast!
Eggs are an extraordinary metabolism boosting breakfast food, making them a great choice to kick start your day.
To be perfectly honest, I’ve gone through phases where I used to eat 12-15 eggs every morning for breakfast!
Eggs can be prepared in a variety of ways and still give your metabolism a great boost.
You can scramble your eggs with your favorite vegetables to add additional vitamins ad minerals or make plain scrambled eggs with a side of fruit.
These are just some suggestions!
My favorite eggs are scrambled, with a side of avocado and bacon! It’s a low-carb, high protein meal that will start your day off right.
I mentioned avocados just above, and they certainly are one of the best metabolism boosting breakfast foods! Along with being full of metabolism boosting nutrients, avocados are not acidic, which means you can eat them on an Alkaline Diet. On the pH balance scale, foods that are above +2.0 are generally considered “alkaline,” while foods that are below -2.0 are generally considered acidic. Avocados are about +6.5!
Avocados are one of the best metabolism boosting foods because they contain a lot of oleic acid, a dietary fat that regulates metabolism and improves glucose sensitivity. About 70% of the entire content of avocado oil is oleic acid, and the level of the saturated fats it contains is relatively low.
According to a study produced in 2002,
“the hypothalamus and other regions within the central nervous system (CNS) link the sensing of nutrients to the control of metabolism and feeding behavior. Here, we report that intracerebroventricular (ICV) administration of the long-chain fatty acid oleic acid markedly inhibits glucose production and food intake.”
Additionally, vitamins and minerals that can be found in avocados include:
- Vitamin C; 17% of the RDA
- Vitamin B5: 14% of the RDA
- Potassium: 14% of the RDA
- Folate: 20% of the RDA
- Vitamin K: 26% of the RDA
- Vitamin B6: 13% of the RDA
- Vitamin E: 10% of the RDA
They also contain zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, manganese, and other minerals in small amounts, while also being low in carbohydrates, with 160 calories and 15 grams of protein.
I’ve talked a lot about metabolism boosting foods for breakfast, but I haven’t discussed drinks you should consume yet!
Water should be your primary choice for drinking at any time of day, but if you want to boost your metabolism in the morning, a cup of black coffee is a perfect option as well.
Coffee is an excellent choice to drink during breakfast because it has been proven to reduce your appetite so that you will likely consume fewer calories throughout the course of your day. As stated by a study published in Obesity – A Research Journal,
“A moderate coffee amount can effectively reduce energy intake in the following meal and in the total day compared to lower or no coffee intake in overweight/obese participants.”
Furthermore, the caffeine in coffee will give you a burst of energy to be more active and get more things done!
- 70% LESS ACID: Puroast low acid coffee is perfect for every coffee lover, especially those with...
- 7X HIGHER ANTIOXIDANTS: It turns out there is a connection between antioxidant levels and how coffee...
- PURE TO THE POUR: From our humble origins in the foothills of the Andes Mountains, Puroast's secret...
- FEEL BETTER, NEVER BITTER: Take on the daily grind with a smooth, aromatic cup of coffee that tastes...
- QUALITY IN EVERY CUP: Not all coffee is created equal. Our high elevation grown coffee beans are...
There are other great metabolism boosting drinks you can consume for breakfast, such as yerba mate tea and oolong tea, but nothing beats traditional green tea for increasing your metabolism in the morning.
Green tea is an amazing addition to your metabolism boosting breakfast because it contains EGCG, which is a type of natural antioxidant. EGCG has been scientifically proven to increase your metabolic rate.
As stated in a study published by The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition,
“Green tea has thermogenic properties and promotes fat oxidation beyond that explained by its caffeine content per se. The green tea extract may play a role in the control of body composition via sympathetic activation of thermogenesis, fat oxidation, or both.”
Drinking green tea is an outstanding way to boost your metabolism in the morning and promote weight loss.
My favorite green tea to drink for breakfast is MatchaDNA:
- 100 NATURAL TEABAGS 🍵 Great Value with 100 tea bags in each box, you can order for the whole...
- BEST TASTE & HIGHEST QUALITY 🍵 Always fresh and clean. Delivered monthly from farm direct
- FARM TO TABLE 🍵 SUSTAINABLY PRODUCED IN SMALL BATCHES: The MatchaDNA (R) matcha green teas are...
- LAB TESTED FOR PURITY 🍵 Each batch of Matcha tea is lab tested for purity including for lead and...
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE 🍵 We stand behind our products and offer you a 100% Money Back...
Morning Super Smoothies
I mentioned smoothies shortly before, but smoothies are absolutely one of the best choices for a metabolism boosting breakfast. My first suggestion is to make sure you have your own blender and use your own ingredients.
You can buy breakfast smoothies from the grocery store but this will be a lot more expensive over time, and these smoothies often have extra added sugar that you don’t need.
If you don’t own a blender, a simple and affordable solution is a Magic Bullet:
- Included: (1) 250W motor base, (1) cross-blade, (1) tall cup, (1) short cup, (1) party mug, (2) lip...
- The magic bullet chops, mixes, blends, whips, grinds and more. Cups are made out of high-impact...
- Effortlessly create your favorite meals and snacks like smoothies, omelets, sauces and dips. 250...
- Included recipe book gets you started making quick, easy, and delicious dishes from appetizers to...
Smoothies are a great metabolism boosting breakfast because you add a ton of ingredients to them and have a compact, fast, and easy to consume vitamin and mineral-rich meal in just a few minutes.
A few great ingredients for your morning smoothies are nut butters (peanut butter, almond butter, etc), berries, plant-milk (almond milk, oat milk, etc), spinach and kale, and either protein powder or superfoods powders.
A metabolism boosting smoothie in the morning is also the perfect time to take advantage of healthy ingredients you wouldn’t normally consume often because you can mask their taste with other tastier ingredients.
For your protein powder, I suggest you use a vegan protein powder instead of whey protein. Personally, I use a variety of superfood powders from Your Super in my smoothie every morning.
These superfood powders are great for adding additional protein, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to your metabolism boosting breakfast smoothie.
Here is a great Your Super bundle which contains a few of their superfoods that are designed to help your immune system and boost your metabolism:
- Super Green: use to increase your intake of nutritious greens and natural micronutrients
- Forever Beautiful: use to nourish your skin from the inside out
- Golden Mellow: use as a natural way to reduce stress, anxiety and inflammation while improving sleep
- Magic Mushroom: use for stress management and immunity building
- All of our ingredients are naturally dried to preserve the micronutrients and are tested by third...
For more information about these superfood powders, you can read my Your Super Review.
Concluding Thoughts – The Best Metabolism Boosting Foods and Drinks for Breakfast
Eating breakfast itself is an important aspect of a healthy diet, but the quality of your breakfast can determine your energy level throughout your whole day.
Not all breakfasts are great choices for increasing your metabolism, and a careful selection of foods and drinks at breakfast can make or break your weight loss journey!
Lastly, feel free to make breakfast your largest meal of the day! There is nothing wrong with eating a huge breakfast and eating smaller meals as the day goes on!
Follow these rules and you will boost your metabolism, get healthy, and stay healthy!
If you want to get an aesthetic physique, you need to start your day with these metabolism boosting breakfast foods and drinks!