I’ve said it before and I will say it again, green tea is probably the healthiest beverage on the planet; as it contains antioxidants and fat burning elements that are unmatched in fat burning and general well being.
Green tea is not a simple liquid, but a secret to improve your health and body functions.
Amongst all the other uses for this wonder drink, I am starting to understand more and more myself even that green tea before training is a must if your aim is to burn body fat or improve your overall endurance. Green tea increases your metabolism, and the unique caffeine it contains substantially improves your endurance and helps you work out longer.
Athletes often will supplement with caffeine to improve their workout duration and effectively increase their performance, and the caffeine in green tea will take this up another notch even!
Below I will list some of the more specific ways in which green tea can aid you in losing fat, and improving your physique in the ways in which you desire!
Why Should You Drink Green Tea Before a Workout?
For a quick background on green tea and what it is, the green leaves of green tea contain a bioactive substance that dissolve in water, and make it a healthy drink. One of the most important parts of green tea is the amount of caffeine in it, as green tea contains a lesser amount of caffeine as compared to coffee. Green tea contains only about (25-40mg) of caffeine in a standard 250 ml cup, yet still manages to promote a strong feeling of overall energy inside the body.
The most important element in green tea is EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate), a substance which has been scientifically proven boost your metabolism rate when combined with the caffeine of green tea. This compound in green tea signals the fat cells to break down in the form of energy, to assist the body in fat loss and performing during workout. Green tea literally helps your body feast off its own fat to build additional energy in your body!
Green tea is also helpful in increasing the metabolism rate of your body, which assists you in using the energy released by fat burning during the workout.
It is by boosting up your metabolism that the amazing brew uses the available fat as fuel, and oxidizes it (while you work out). Possibly the most generic way of thinking about fat loss is that the amount of calories you consume needs to be less than the amount of calories that you burn. There is certainly far more to this than the simplicity of that statement when it comes to direct fat loss but this is the most essential premise of everything.
The metabolic boosting properties of green tea greatly assist in the most basic part of fat loss!
Apart from the weight reduction properties, green tea also contains elements that promote healthy skin, beauty, and general wellness. Medical and nutrition researchers strongly believe that green tea is more than just another fad in health and fitness.
“It is the healthiest thing I can think to drink” says, Christopher Ochner ,PhD, a researcher on nutrition at the Icanhn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital.
Our body consumes calories for every physical function (even in a resting position). Green tea helps in quicker and more efficient burning of excess fat (what we commonly call “calories”), during the workout, and thus should be utilized accordingly for your own benefits!
Here Are 5 Amazing Reasons to Drink Green Tea Before Your Workout & After:
- The wonder brew increases the metabolic rate of our body, which helps in burning body fat quicker and more efficiently. Increasing your basal metabolic rate throughout the day will inevitably make it easier to shed unwanted fat from your body.
- The moderate amount of caffeine in green tea helps your overall endurance and ability to achieve longer workout rates. Unlike certain types of coffee (cough, Starbucks), and synthetic supplements that are paced with caffeine that will only elevate your heart rate and leave you with an unpleasant crash, the moderate caffeine in green tea will help you push through your workout and consistently build a larger work capacity.
- Greater endurance and the ability to complete longer workouts helps in fighting against serious diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease; due a healthy improvement in work capacity and normalized metabolism.
- Green tea is known to contain cancer fighting elements that help in controlling and containing carcinogens. When taken before a workout, such ingredients are better absorbed into the human body.
- Green tea is extremely effective in helping your body detox both internally, but externally as well. Drinking green tea before training will help your body detox and renew your skin and hair, leaving you with a more youthful and energetic appearance.
Green tea is a wonderful drink, pretty much all the time. I can’t lie, as an American green tea was not a regular part of my life growing up. I always “knew” the benefits, but it was hardly enough of a reason to push myself into drinking green tea consistently.
After living in Kazakhstan for some time where their country is much more similar to Asian countries than ours, and meeting my wife there who will almost never drink coffee and only drink tea, I now fully respect the benefits that consistent green tea consumption can have on your body.
I have even written about the benefits of coffee before and still avidly drink (high quality) coffee consistently as well! However, I urge everyone to look at the tremendous benefits that green tea has (specifically when taken pre-workout), and see if you can find similar health improvements as I have!