Insomnia can be triggered by an array of factors ranging from medication to hormonal imbalance happening in our anatomy.
The vicious cycle of insomnia might make people suffering from the same more anxious later during nighttime thus aggravating the scenario further. Our hectic lifestyle also does not help much with constant competition and pressure to perform.
Keeping such things in mind, we have collated a list of simple tips and tricks which you can follow to usher in a good night’s sleep at the end of the day.
- We shall start by speaking about certain food consumption of which hinders our natural sleeping mechanism. Caffeine holds the first position in this list, followed by nicotine. If you are an out and out coffee addict, make sure to drink the same earlier during daytime so that your body gets enough time to wear it off. A cigarette on the other hand is something which people usually resort to for soothing their nerves. But its real action is just the opposite given its stimulant nature.
- Next comes electronic devices and gadgets such as TV, laptop and mobile phones which can keep you awake till late night with the emission of their artificial blue light. These devices should also be avoided while you try to sleep or you will never know how hours pass by as you scroll through your Facebook and Instagram feeds.
Now that we have done with the things that you need to avoid, it’s time to focus on the ones which can accentuate your sleeping process
- Reading a book before bedtime is that one habit which has been inculcated in us since our young age. Other than sharpening our vocab skills, reading can also bring along a stimulating effect on our body
- Exercising is that one activity which is avidly promoted by health enthusiasts across the globe. It also aids in bringing down our blood pressure and body weight. Exercising on a regular basis can also lower stress, which is one of the biggest factors causing insomnia.
- You can try out meditation before bedtime as that aids in the sleeping mechanism by slowing down your body and mind. Deep breathing as well as tensing and relaxing of various muscles can be tried out before bedtime.
- Researchers have proven the fact that our body feels well at ease when our bedroom is free of distractions and clutter. Thus, it is advisable to try and make your resting place as inviting as possible. Having the right kind of mattress is also extremely important for keeping sleep disturbances and musculoskeletal problems at bay. You can bring home an Ikea mattress and replace the same whenever needed or after the passage of 8 years as a rule of thumb.
- Having a regular sleep-wake cycle accustoms our body to an internal clock so that it acts in accordance with internal cues on passage of a certain span of time for bedtime.
Simply lying down on the bed and watching the clock tick past is enough to increase our level of sleeplessness.
Temporary insomnia can also be caused from trauma and stress both in professional and personal life, such as worrying over job security, hearing the news of a close relative’s untimely death or simply arguing with the partner.
But by following the expert tips mentioned above, you can surely reverse this whole process in time and proceed towards a healthier lifestyle.