If you’re naturally skinny and aren’t able to get any significant gains, then it can be easy to chalk it up to genetics and give up. However, in many cases, this has little to do with genetics at all.
Sure, your genetic makeup will have an influence on your ceiling, but unless you have a severe condition that prevents you from gaining mass, you can always get bigger arms no matter how skinny your frame is.
In this article, we are going to explain how to get big arms fast for skinny guys.
How to Get Big Arms Fast for Skinny Guys
Even if you are naturally skinny, it is possible to get big arms. Check out these tips which will help you accomplish your goal of getting bigger arms!
One of the most common thing skinny guys ask when trying to build muscle is should you work out arms every day? Although you technically can workout your arms every day, it doesn’t necessarily mean you should.
Over-training your arms the same way each time will always focus on the same muscles and won’t give them time to heal.
This is very important since any increase in size you make will be from your muscle forming scar tissue from these micro tears you suffer during training. So, if one day you’re doing dumbbell curls, you could do triceps push downs the next day, reverse curls the next and go back to dumbbell curls the next day.
This will allow time for each set of muscles to heal and you’ll get maximum gains.
Avoid Crucial Mistakes
If you’re constantly thinking “my arms are too skinny”, then it could be because you’re committing some basic mistakes that could be easily corrected. One of the biggest mistakes people make when trying to get bigger arms is not eating enough. Unless you bulk up, you’ll never be able to get bigger arms.
If you want to know what your minimum weight target should be, take your height in CM and subtract 100. This will give you the minimum weight you should be weighing at the start of your workout in order to see any results.
Another thing you have to know is that muscle consumes a lot of energy and you will need to add some extra calories to your diet in order to maintain it.
So, as a rule of thumb, you should be adding about 500 calories per day to your diet the minute you start your arm workout. Once you start hitting your plateau, you should add another 500 calories until you see more gains.
Do Heavy Compound Exercises Before Isolation Exercises
If you want to really grow your arms, you are going to need to increase muscle mass throughout your body. Not only that, but you are going to need to lift heavy weights to stimulate growth hormone and testosterone responses that will allow your muscles to grow quicker.
Doing some leg workouts at the beginning of your sessions before you move on to your arms will help release more growth hormone and testosterone, and you will see rapid improvements in arm muscle size.
As a matter of fact, one particular study found that people who did lower body exercises (leg workouts) before doing arm workouts were able to get much better results than those who only worked on their arms.
According to the study which was published in the European Journal of Applied Physiology,
“In conclusion, performing leg exercises prior to arm exercises, and thereby increasing the levels of serum testosterone and growth hormone, induced superior strength training adaptations compared to arm training without acute elevation of hormones.”
The best exercises for increasing growth hormone and testosterone levels are the deadlift and back squat, but other functional leg exercises are effective as well.
Watch What You Eat
While we said that you need to bulk up in order to get gains, we didn’t mean you should be stuffing your face with Krispy Kremes all day.
You should eat food that will give you fuel for your workouts and allow you to build muscle mass without amassing fat.
That’s why you should add plenty of complex carbs before your workout for steady energy and plenty of protein pre and post workout to build those muscles, and you should make sure that you have enough fat in your diet for testosterone production while keeping simple sugars to a minimum.
Use Fat Gripz
If you want to add another unique stimulation to your biceps workouts, try doing all of your exercises with Fat Gripz! I love my Fat Gripz, and I don’t only use them for arm workouts.
However, using Fat Gripz can certainly help you develop big arms even if you are a skinny guy!
Fat Gripz (or thick bar training) helps you get bigger arms through recruiting more muscle fibers for each exercise. Fat Gripz make the dumbbell or barbell have a thicker grip, forcing you to use more forearm muscle.
Over time, your forearms will become stronger, you will be able to life more weight, and your arm size will grow!
- ✓ POWERFUL ARMS GET ATTRACTION AND RESPECT INSTANTLY – They are the body part that everyone sees. Take a moment to imagine how you would look with hard defined arms that turns heads - instantly changing how everyone sees you… and treats you
- ✓ THE REVOLUTIONARY SHORTCUT TO ARM SIZE - Fat Grips work by wrapping around the weights (barbells, dumbbells, chin-up bars) & increasing the diameter. Don’t let the simplicity fool you - the bigger diameter forces your arms to grow like never before
- ✓ THE PROS LOVE THEM – Don’t only take our word for it. Fat Gripz have won the two biggest awards in fitness (Men’s Health Magazine & Body building com Awards) and have been used in secret by many stars of the NFL, NBA, UFC and in Hollywood for years
- ✓ A LIFETIME OF RESULTS COSTING LESS THAN A MONTH’S SUPPLY OF PROTEIN – You’ll love the quality of the military grade material. They have a slit so you can pull them open & fit them on almost any dumbbells, barbells (standard, Olympic & EZ) & chin-up bars
- ✓ 100% RISK-FREE / VIDEO GUIDE TO BUILDING MUSCLE – Fat Gripz are 100% risk-free (30 days, money back) and come with access to a powerful Max Muscle Building Video that shows you exactly what to do. Order now before we run out of stock again!
Take the Right Supplements
If you want to increase your arm size quickly, you are going to need to use a few dietary supplements. Although you don’t need to fill your cabinet with many, taking a few particular supplements can certainly help you get bigger arms.
For example, creatine monohydrate is a well researched supplement that has been proven to help people lift more weight and increase muscle size.
According to a study published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism,
“These findings indicate that creatine supplementation during resistance-exercise training increases intramuscular Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF-I) concentration in healthy men and women, independent of habitual dietary routine.”
Personally, I use RSP Nutrition Creatine Monohydrate:
- PURE 100% MICRONIZED CREATINE - Every serving of RSP Nutrition Creatine powder contains 5g of 100% pure Creatine Monohydrate which is one of the most thoroughly researched supplements in sports nutrition and has been shown to safely increase muscle strength, power, endurance, and cell volumization
- STRENGTH, RECOVERY, & LEAN MUSCLE GAIN - Pure Creatine Monohydrate has been shown to increase strength and lean muscle gains with minimal water retention, making it one of the most popular pre workout and post workout muscle recovery supplements for active men and women
- MICRONIZED CREATINE FOR ALL AGES - RSP Nutrition Creatine is pharmaceutical grade and optimized for optimal absorption. It has been shown to benefit people of all ages as it supports cognitive function, helps to decrease mental decline, and prevent muscle loss
- EASY TO MIX AND STACK - RSP Nutrition Creatine is unflavored and easy to mix with your favorite pre workout, post workout, and amino recovery products to enhance results
- SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN - RSP Creatine Monohydrate is one of the purest forms of Creatine you can buy. Research has consistently shown Creatine Monohydrate to be on the most beneficial ingredients available for those looking to increase lean muscle growth and promote optimal recovery
Another important supplement for helping you get bigger arms are Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs). BCAAs are easy to digest amino acids which have been proven to help with muscle recover and improving your ability to exercise.
According to a study published in The Journal of Nutrition,
“BCAA supplementation before and after exercise has beneficial effects for decreasing exercise-induced muscle damage and promoting muscle-protein synthesis; this suggests the possibility that BCAAs are a useful supplement in relation to exercise and sports.”
In my opinion, the Best BCAA supplement is Scivation Xtend:
- The World's #1 BCAA Brand with 7G of BCAAs Per Serving
- 0 Stimulants, Sugar, Calories, or Carbs
- 2.5g Added Glutamine + Electrolytes
- NSF & Informed Choice Certified
Lastly, you are going to want to take drink a protein powder which contains a high-amount of protein after your workouts. Although whey protein is the most common option, I personally prefer hemp protein or pea protein because I have trouble digesting whey protein powder.
Furthermore, according to a study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition,
“In addition to an appropriate training, the supplementation with pea protein promoted a greater increase of muscle thickness as compared to Placebo and especially for people starting or returning to a muscular strengthening. Since no difference was obtained between the two protein groups, vegetable pea proteins could be used as an alternative to Whey-based dietary products.”
Although you could purchase a supplement which contains 100% pure pea protein, I prefer Your Super Muscle Powder because it contains pea protein and other healthy superfoods:
- GETTING FIT: Trying to build lean muscle mass and want to have more energy for your workout? Then the Muscle Power mix is for you. The perfect combination of energizing superfoods and high-quality protein will take your fitness to a whole new level! Be the fittest, most energized version of yourself and boost your workout.
- PACKED WITH NUTRITION: Muscle Power is a complete protein mix with all 9 essential amino acids to speed up muscle recovery and growth. The mix is a unique combination of highly absorbable plant-based proteins and energy boosting superfoods, which contain Vitamin C, B6, Iron, Niacin and Copper. Your Super mixes contain NO stevia, sweeteners, fillers, thickeners, natural or artificial flavoring – made with 5 powerful energizing superfoods, nothing more!
- POWERFUL ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Rice Protein* (Spain), Pea Protein* (Spain), Maca* (Peru), Lucuma* (Peru) and Banana* (Peru) Powder. *Organic Certified – Our certified organic ingredients are naturally dried to preserve the micronutrients and are tested by third-party labs before, during and after production to ensure they are of the highest quality.
- EASY TO USE: Simply add two teaspoons of the mix to smoothies, plant-based milk, healthy treats, snacks or breakfast. Slightly sweet, rich chocolate taste – 14.1oz (400g) | 26 servings
- GIVING BACK: For every mix sold, we donate one packet of life-saving food to children suffering from severe malnutrition through our partnership with Action Against Hunger. Everyone deserves to be healthy!
Concluding Thoughts – Big Arms for Skinny Guys
Getting bigger arms as a skinny guy is always possible, provided you put the work in and avoid the mistakes that could end up ruining your gains.
Make sure that you follow the few simple tips in this article and you should slowly but surely start getting results.