More and more people are buying exercise machines so they can workout in the privacy of their homes on their own schedule. Gym hours aren’t always convenient or inclement weather may keep you from traveling.
Home exercise machines are usually a little more compact than the professional gym versions and require less space.
However, exercise machines aren’t just for the gym.
Believe it or not, you can own your favorite exercise machine for less money than you think!
Many department stores and exercise equipment retailers offer home exercise machines starting at around $500.
Also, gyms and fitness centers occasionally offer used equipment for sale. Similarly, another option is to use Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist for other used exercise equipment options.
If you buy used equipment, make sure you check it out thoroughly and ask for a warranty, but it is an affordable way to get exercise machines into your home!
Keep reading below to learn which are the best exercise machines for home use, and why you should choose them over other options!
Why Should You Buy Home Exercise Machines?
Before I explain the different exercise machines which I believe are best for home use, I want to explain a bit more about why home exercise machines are a great investment. If you are still on the fence about buying an exercise machine for home, hopefully this information convinces you!
Say Goodbye to Excuses
Going to the gym on a daily basis can be an issue for many people.
Only someone with discipline will be able to do that. If you lack in that department, you will end up making lot of excuses to skip the gym. In that case, having a workout machine at home will be really useful. Now, you don’t have any excuses to skip your training!
When it comes to daily exercise, it is important to have the commitment. If you skip it for few days, then it will be really difficult to get back to in groove again.
When you have a machine to workout with at home, you will be able to stick to your regularly scheduled workout sessions, and that will make it easy for you to achieve your fitness goals.
It’s Less Restrictive at Home
When you are at the gym, you will have to be conscious about the surroundings, and that will make the workout session less fun.
For instance, if you like to listen to music while working out, you will be forced to use headphones.
There is no such restriction when you are at home.
You can turn on your home stereo and listen to all your favorite tracks in full volume! Even better, you can watch your favorite TV show while working out. In short, using exercise machines at home can be a far more entertaining experience.
Exercising at Home Provides Privacy!
If you are looking for one reason to buy an exercise machine, then we have to bring up privacy.
When you are exercising at home, you will have as much privacy as you can dream of.
You can wear whatever you wish to wear, and you can exercise at a comfortable pace. Also, you can have your exercise machine wherever you want in your home.
You can have it closer to the window to enjoy the outside view, or you can have it in front of your TV. Privacy and comfort are ensured when you are exercising at home.
Furthermore, another good thing about working out at home is that you can avoid those eyes staring at you.
That’s one inconvenience when it comes to your local gym.
You will find people staring at you all the time when you go to the gym, and this can make you uncomfortable and conscious. In that case, your home gym can be the right place to exercise.
If you are someone who doesn’t like to have too many people around, then you will enjoy the time you have with your spin bike at home.
Going to a gym with all those people around you makes you more exposed to germs. Being in a gym when your immune system is worn down can make you sick because you can easily catch a cold or flu from other people.
Also, as we’ve all seen from COVID-19, there are bigger risks that just a simple cold or flu out there.
Staying at home and working out is much more hygienic, and you can work out at home no matter whether there is a pandemic going on or not!
24×7 Home Gym
When it comes to your regular gym, there are schedules you have to follow. They are not open all the time, especially at odd hours during the night.
There is no such issue when it comes to your home gym.
Your home gym is functional 24×7. Maybe you had a long day at work and just reached home at night, and you don’t want to skip your workout.
What will you do?
Well, this is exactly why you need a home gym. You don’t need to have many pieces of equipment in the beginning, even one home exercise machine can make a difference!
Whether it is midnight or middle of the day, you can get a workout in!
Although it might not seem like it at first when you are buying you can save a lot of money by buying gym equipment for your home. It might seem to cost you a lot of money i the short-term, but it will be a huge benefit in the long run.
If you need some helpful pieces of advice when it comes to saving money to purchase your home exercise machines initially, you can get financial help and tips from financial websites such as Crediful.
Best Exercise Machines for Home Use
Now that you are a bit more convinced that you need at least one exercise machine for working out at home, let’s check out my favorite options!
In my opinion, the best exercise machines for home use are the:
- Stationary Bicycle
- ERG Rowing Machine
- Stair Stepper
- The Total Gym
Check out these options for home exercise machines, as well as some options for purchasing new home exercise machines from Amazon:
Treadmills are one of the more popular home exercise machines.
Treadmills are one of the most commonly used exercise machines in general, as they allow you to walk and run on a flat surface or on an inclined surface.
The speed can be varied from a leisurely walking pace, to a fast run.
Computerized treadmills allow you to program a variable workout by changing the speed and incline, and there are usually multiple options for analyzing your workout including distance, calories burned, and time.
You can burn up to 100 calories per mile when you walk at a moderately quick pace for one mile, and you can perform intense exercises such as High-Intensity Interval Training once you are adapted to running on the treadmill.
Walking, jogging and running are excellent aerobic exercises which strengthen the cardiovascular system and strengthen your whole body.
Treadmills aren’t my favorite home exercise machine on this list because they can cause some joint issues due to repetitive pounding while running, but they are very effective for keeping in shape.
If you would like to purchase a new treadmill, I think this is an excellent option:
- Your purchase includes: NordicTrack T Series Treadmill 6.5Si + 1-year iFit Membership
- Review the instructions regarding your iFit program to redeem your one year iFit membership and activate your equipment for unlimited workout programs and experiences
- Item dimensions (unfolded): 73" L x 36" W x 54" H - User Weight Capacity: 300 lbs. Item dimensions (folded): 38" L x 36" W x 67.5" H. 20" x 55" Tread Belt
- Engineering: 2.6 CHP Motor, 0-10 MPH Speed, 10° Incline, Dual CardioGrip Heart Rate Monitor, One-Touch Controls, 1.9" Roller.
- Assembly or Inside-home delivery not included. Please coordinate with Amazon or delivery partner to request this additionally. Subject to availability.
See Also: Treadmill Alternatives
Elliptical machines combine a treadmill-type walking exercise with an “elliptical” motion of the legs.
Elliptical machines can provide the user with a powerful cardiovascular workout, while working most of the major muscle groups of both the upper and lower body. This machine often includes handles that workout the arms and chest.
They can be used on an incline, at different speeds, and with varying levels of resistance.
You can also use an elliptical machine in reverse to exercise the back of the thighs and hamstrings. Unlike a treadmill where your feet impact with the machine, your foot remains in contact with the elliptical machine to provide a low-impact workout.
However, the elliptical is one piece of gym equipment that many gym “buffs” have probably never even thought about using.
Regardless of this negative stereotype, the elliptical has a wide range of benefits, and can be useful for anyone from an elderly person who is trying to remain fit, to a professional athlete.
The key to positively using the elliptical is to understand that it is not a conditioning tool to be used in the same fashion as running sprints or lifting weights, but it can still be useful when utilized correctly.
Elliptical exercise machines are one of the most undervalued pieces of gym equipment.
Probably the single most important benefit of the elliptical is that anyone can do it. Yes, it is true that the elliptical is not a functional exercise such as the Jacob’s Ladder Exercise, running, or even walking; but it still is exercise.
The elliptical puts minimal stress on all the joints in your body, and it is an excellent piece of equipment to be used by those with injuries, or who are just beginning their fitness career. The motion of the elliptical itself is incredibly easy to be learned, and can be learned by pretty much anyone.
Research has even proven that the elliptical is safe for those who suffer from chronic stroke and are not able to walk! As stated in the Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy,
“Elliptical training appears to be a safe and feasible training alternative for ambulatory individuals with chronic stroke. Training 2 to 3 days per week resulted in no improvements in walking speed; however, participants did demonstrate variable improvements in endurance, balance, and functional mobility. It is possible that a higher training frequency and/or training speed are required to influence walking performance in individuals who are ambulatory.”
Although the elliptical is not necessarily a device for training the human motion of walking, it can certainly be used by almost anyone, as a tool for increasing health and conditioning.
As stated by a study published in the Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development,
“Elliptical exercise for patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) results in significant improvements in both fatigue and quality of life (QOL). These findings indicate that regular elliptical exercise could be a part of inpatient and outpatient MS rehabilitation programs.”
Another benefit of choosing an elliptical machine is that they are very easy to find them; and they can be fit pretty much anywhere.
An elliptical takes up even less space than a treadmill, and you can find them more often than other home fitness machines on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist.
For those who are recovering from lower body injuries and attempting to stay in shape, the elliptical is a perfect piece of equipment to work your heart rate while not stressing your injury.
For an athlete, the most important key to staying in physical condition is being able to work you heart rate at a certain capacity.
Since there is little to no stress on your joints while using the elliptical, it is possible for you to work your heart rate extensively while maintaining safety and the rehabilitation process of lower-body injuries.
Along with this, it has also been shown through research that using the elliptical is one way to decrease the risk of knee injuries, and can be beneficial for those recovering from knee injuries! As published in the journal Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society,
“The results showed that the pivoting elliptical training is effective to improve off-axis neuromuscular control in healthy individuals and such training protocol can potentially be implemented to prevent knee injury.”
For any athlete who has suffered a lower body injury, it is well known that it is difficult to maintain physical conditioning while rehabbing, and the elliptical can absolutely help this process!
There are many benefits of buying an elliptical machine to use at home! If you’d like to buy a new one, this is a great option for you:
- Front drive design, 17 inch stride length, soft grips upper body workout arms, oversized pedals, Inertia enhanced flywheel
- 12 resistance levels, iPod compatible audio, transport wheels, adjust leveling feet, water bottle holder
- IFit ready, large LCD display, 12 workout apps, EKG heart rate monitor
- 250 pound weight capacity
- The ProForm 150I elliptical is protected with a 5 year frame warranty and 90 day parts & labor warranty
Bicycling is an effective way to exercise your body and get a challenging cardiovascular workout.
A stationary exercise bike is compact and easy to use. The resistance of the pedals can be adjusted for a leisurely ride or a really tough workout that will have you sweating and increase your heart rate. A stationary bicycle is low-impact and easy on your joints.
Many people enjoy using a stationary bike while watching their favorite television program. You can add a book holder and read your favorite magazine or book while riding.
In my opinion, the main reason to purchase a stationary bike compared with other home exercise machines is that it you can do HIIT workouts that burn a lot of calories, and even build muscle mass. Other exercise machines are great, but in my opinion, doing Tabata Intervals on a stationary bicycle is one of the best overall ways of getting in better shape.
If you would like to purchase a stationary bike, there are a lot of options. You can choose between a fan bike or spin bike, or you can choose a more traditional stationary bicycles. Spin bikes are great for more intense training, and there are a wide variety of options. They also tend to take up a small amount of space, but they have a lot of built-in technology to enhance your workouts.
If you’d like to purchase a spin bike, I believe these are the best options:
NexHt Spin Bike
This spin bike is one of the best for home use. It can carry 280 lbs of maximum weight per user. This has an LCD monitor and the designed to help you achieve the figure that you have always dreamed of.
If you use this regularly, you will enjoy the benefit of better blood circulation, it will speed up your metabolism, and will also tone your muscles as you burn calories.
- Perfect for body workout training , health improving, muscle building, weight loss, cellulite reduction, promoting blood circulation and metabolism . People who exercise before or after work are happier, suffer less stress, and are more productive.
- Heavy-duty Crank and Steel Frame with a 24.3 lbs Flywheel. Max User weight up to 280 lbs. Transportation Wheels for Easy Portability.
- Motivational LCD Console Displays with5 functions :Time, Speed, Distance, Total Distance, Calories with Scan Feature
- Handlebar &Resistance. The seat can be adjusted for height and proximity to handlebars! With a simple twist of a knob, you can adjust to remain comfortable when riding for long periods of time. Adjustable Inseam Height Max. 31.5 in/ Min. 25.6 in.
- Belt Drive Mechanism for Smooth and Quiet Workouts. Easy to assemble, all High Safety and 100% Guarantee. Warranty for 1 Year.
XtremepowerUS PRO SPIN 40
This very attractive spin bike has a sleek, black finish with lime-green accents. This looks sporty and modern and can carry up to 320 lbs of maximum user weight.
It also has LCD monitor and a flywheel that weighs 40 lbs. This is the reason for the spin bike stability and allows the rider to achieve plenty of momentum while working out.
- Quality and Durability - The heavy duty steel frame and crank adds essential quality and durability to go the distance, no matter what your fitness goals.
- Water Bottle Holder - The convenient bottle holder keeps your favorite refreshing beverage at arm's length! Proper hydration will ensure your health and workout performance stays at optimum levels.
- Multi-Functional Digital Monitor - Tracking your progress is simple with the Multi-functional Digital Monitor! Displaying your Distance, Heart Rate, Speed, Lasting Time and Calories, you will be able to see your results to keep you motivated and on pace.
- Leather Padded Seat - Fully adjustable leather padded seat, moves forward/back & up/down. Seat can be adjusted for height and proximity to handlebars! With a simple twist of a knob, you can move back and forth (and up / down) so your workout can remain comfortable when riding for long periods of time.
- Adjustable Handlebars - Padded adjustable handlebars that move up and down in height. Multi-grip ergonomic handlebar designed for all types of hand and grip positions for maximum comfort. The middle section even has a nice area to prop up your favorite book or tablet to keep you going for your long workout.
URSTAR Spin Bike
This is one of the most comfortable spin bikes that you should consider. This has all the spin bike features that you are looking for like the adjustable seat and handlebar. This can carry up to 250 lbs of user weight with an LCD display screen.
You can use the screen to monitor your burned calories, distance, pulse as well as the speed and time.
The good thing about the spin bike is that, they have flywheels that are lightweight.
These flywheels are what keeps the pedals going. If you have the best spin bike, then this is the best way to tone your muscles while burning your calories at the same time. Most people purchase spin bikes to avoid the per session charge of spin classes.
ERG Rowing Machine
For the home exerciser who wants a little tougher workout machine, a rowing machine fits the bill. Rowing machines engage your legs, arms and abdominal muscles. An ERG rowing machine gives you a steady workout for all the major muscle groups, including your heart and lungs.
Depending on your weight and the speed and tension of your rowing, you can burn between 400 and 600 calories per hour.
In addition to losing weight and burning fat, a rowing machine helps to improve muscle definition in your arms and legs.
Rowing machines are great for people who want to get in seriously good shape. If you are trying to build a truly aesthetic body, a rowing machine is a great option. ERG rowing workouts are even included in many CrossFit workouts and competitions.
If you’d like to purchase a new rowing machine, this is a great option:
- Your purchase includes One Concept2 Indoor Rowing Machine, D Model. A Performance Monitor 5 computer, One Model D User Manual, One Performance Monitor Quick Start Guide, tools and illustrated assembly instructions
- Rowing machine dimensions: Assembled: 8 ft x 2 ft (244 cm x 61 cm) With Clearance for Use: 9 ft x 4 ft (274 cm x 122 cm) For Storage: 25 in x 33 in x 54 in (63.5 cm x 83.8 cm x 137.2 cm).
- Designed to fit most users: 14-inch seat height, 500lb user capacity, adjustable footrests and ergonomic handle. Users with an inseam of 38 inches (96.5 cm) or more may require an extra-long monorail.
- Separates easily into two pieces for storage; caster wheels make it mobile; easy to assemble with only eight screws.
- Track your progress with real-time reliable data; the Performance Monitor 5 (included) self-calibrates for comparable results; connect wirelessly to heart rate belts and apps (not included).
Climbing stairs is a great way to get a good whole-body workout. Stair stepper machines help you get the benefit of climbing stairs without the stress on your joints that actually climbing stairs can cause.
You can change the resistance of the down step and the elevation of the upward step.
Some stair steppers have an option to vary the speed as well. You can program some computerized models for interval training by speed, resistance, and height.
These machines are a bit expensive, but they can provide an incredible workout in your own. If you’d like to purchase one, here is a great option:
- Frame - Two-step powder coating process applies rust-resistant undercoat and cosmetic topcoat to steel frame.
- Handrails - U-shaped handrails encourage good posture and proper technique. Handrails are powder-coated steel tubing covered with sweat-resistant, molded vinyl. Grips are designed to stay securely in place to avoid slipping.
- Foot Pedals - Foot pedals are aluminum. Foot pedals attach mid-line to a 4-bar linkage, reducing bushing wear.
- Bio-Mechanics - 4-bar step linkage assures proper motion path and greatly increases life of the 1-inch / 2.54 cm Oilite bushings in each pivot point.
If you’d like a home exercise machine which can help you build muscle mass, a total gym is a great option for you.
There are a lot of options for buying a Total Gym, and they price depends on how many options the Total Gym comes with. If you would like to purchase an advanced Total Gym to get the most possibilities, the Total Gym XLS is the best Total Gym option in my opinion!
The Total Gym XLS can be used for over 80 exercises! When comparing free weights vs machines for building muscle, I personally believe free weights are the better option, but buying a Total Gym is a more cost-efficient option for people who want home fitness equipment.
- As Seen on TV with Chuck Norris & Christie Brinkley
- Resistance training with 6 levels
- 400 lb weight capacity for total strength and stability
- Padded glideboard with head support
- Exercise capability - over 80 exercises
Buying Used Home Exercise Machines
Before you purchase any used workout machines for your house, read these tips below!
Only Buy Used Home Gym Equipment You Will Use
Before you even start looking for home workout machines to buy online, make a short list of what you will be able to use in your house.
If you don’t purchase equipment you will use each week consistently; you are wasting your money, time, and space in your house or apartment. Make sure you have a solid commitment to health and fitness before you make your purchases, and be selective about what you buy!
If you are living in an apartment, you will probably be restricted by the amount of space you need.
You honestly only need one workout machine in your home to get the workouts you need, so pick the machine based on the type of workout you enjoy doing the most!
Buying exercise machines and equipment for your house is not easy because you won’t have massive amounts of space. However, I am sure you have enough space for a at least one machine!
Take the Time to Shop Around!
As I said before, there is more than one place you can look for used fitness machines for your home online.
A few of the best options are:
- Craig’s List
- Facebook Marketplace
You can also check out local fitness centers or sporting goods stores in your area as well.
If you take your time to find the best deal possible, I promise you will be surprised how affordable the cost will be!
Concluding Thoughts – The Best Exercise Machines for Home
If you would like to buy a home exercise machine, there are a ton of options.
If you follow the above recommendations, you should be able to find the used home gym machine(s) you need. Once you have some in your home, you will find that staying focused on your health and fitness is easier and more convenient!
Think about it, how many times have you planned to go to the gym after work but called it off because you got home exhausted? I am sure that many people have this issue more often than they would like to admit!
The most important factor to consider is choosing a machine you will be happy about using often. You want to make sure you get your moneys worth out of whatever you purchase.
All of the options listed above are excellent exercise machines for home use!