Pregnancy is a gift of God and if you are blessed with it, you are lucky. It’s the time when you should think right, eat right and do right and be the best mom to your baby who is growing fast inside your belly.
Being 16 weeks pregnant means coming almost halfway through pregnancy and you can hear the baby’s heartbeat in all the pre-natal check-ups.
Your Baby at 16 Weeks
The little life you are carrying inside is just the size of an avocado in 16 weeks. The baby can now hear and recognize the mother’s voice so it’s the time when you can start communicating with your little one.
The best part is you can feel the slow kicks as your baby tries to move inside the womb. The development phase is still on and the nervous system is pretty advanced by this time.
So, it’s the time when you enjoy your baby bump swelling up with amniotic fluid and the bay inside. Mom, you are gaining the pregnancy weight to support your baby inside. The baby can now produce hiccups and you can feel it inside, it’s like gentle flutters.
What to Expect In 16 Weeks of Pregnancy
Expecting mothers require nearly 300 calories in excess every day in the second and third trimesters. This is very important for the mother’s health and the baby’s nourishment. Do not take big sized meals rather split the meals into smaller parts so that you feel comfortable. Keep some snacks handy so that you can just munch away whenever you feel. You can eat healthy foods like a cup of soup with grated almonds and cheese or an apple with one tbsp of peanut butter.
This time and around there is major growth taking place, your baby needs a lot of blood pumping via her veins.
The heart is already producing 25 quarts of blood at this time. This is the reason for the pregnancy glow that starts showing from mid sixteen weeks. But your hormones are really naughty and you can also get acne due to more oil secretion.
You do not need to take any medicines but use an oil-clear face wash. This is the time when you might discover pigmentation leading to dark spots on your face; you might also get moles, freckles and darker areolas with thicker nipples.
Some would-be mothers get the best skin and hair during this phase. Do not smoke at all and it’s harmful to drink too much in pregnancy rather its best if you cut down on alcohol.
Some health issues that might be challenging for 16 weeks
- Thick vaginal discharge
- Leg cramps
- Varicose veins
- Gum bleeding
- Nose bleeding
- Mood swings
- Itchy and dry eyes
- Good/rough skin and hair
Pregnancy Diet – Nutritional Needs for Pregnant Women
Are you eating right? Supplements are essential but food in natural form is the best. A balanced diet is all that you need to have during this time and not something that makes you fat or lean. Being obese and underweight, both are risks during pregnancy.
Diet for Slightly Overweight Moms:
- Add the right amount of protein, little quantity of healthy fat and complex carbohydrate to your breakfast
- Consume whole grains, a lot of fresh and green vegetables, fruits, low-fat food and lean meat.
- Do not eat processed food that comes loaded with sugar, added colors, flavors, and preservatives.
- Eat healthy snacks like low-fat yogurt, hummus, salads and all types of fresh fruits like apple, oranges, bananas, pomegranates etc. Avoid all types of fried foods and junks. You can gorge on popcorn rather than potato chips, just feel the difference.
- Do not have packaged juice or beverages but drink plenty of plain water.
For the Underweight Moms:
- Milkshake with banana, roasted almonds, and cashew nuts is very useful. Do not consume low-fat milk because you are intending to put on mass to support the baby inside.
- Consume all types of healthy fats and foods rich in omega-3 like avocados and nuts.
- Do eat fresh fruits but when it comes to putting on weight, focus more on dry fruits.
- Eat the right amount of protein
- Avoid junk and processed food but keep taking healthy snacks in between meals.
- Talking about water, drink more is good to keep yourself hydrated
Take care of yourself mother and your baby will grow well inside, take rest and do not slog yourself. You can do some light exercise under the supervision of the yoga expert. Communicate your thoughts, doubts, and anxieties with your partner and your doctor. Enjoy the bumpy ride till you deliver a healthy baby.