We live in an aging society where about 83 percent of the population will reach the age of 65. This not only means that we’re living longer, but that we’re all frantically searching for the Fountain of Youth. We all want to know what will make us look younger for the longest amount of time possible.
According to science, exercise can be the answer to the question we seek. Studies have shown that at least three hours of exercise a week can drastically decrease the aging process and lead to the following benefits:
- Younger looking skin and reversal of the skin aging process
- Stronger bones and joints
- Strengthens the immune system to fight against illnesses and chronic diseases
- Improves balance and flexibility
- Provides a good night’s sleep which ultimately leads to less wrinkles
All these benefits help us to look and feel younger. So now that you’re convinced, what’s the best type of exercise to achieve these goals?
High Intensity Interval Training
High Intensity Interval Training, or HIIT is the best exercise for anti-aging. The training involves high intensity training followed by an interval of low output training, such as in the Tabata training method. This alternation allows our bodies to reach an anaerobic state which increases the capacity of mitochondria and ribosomes.
These organelles deteriorate as we get older, but through HIIT, they work harder and stay healthier to work against signs of aging.
HIIT Exercises You Can Do Once a Day
HIIT exercises are pretty flexible, but here are some that you can do daily to keep your body young and healthy.
- Sprinting: A minute of sprinting, followed by 90 seconds of walking will help you reach your anaerobic state. Repeat these reps four to six times during your session and then cool down with a five-minute walk. You can do this exercise on a treadmill or outside.
- Circuits: You can create your own circuit routine but for beginners you may want to try three rounds of bodyweight exercises such as push ups, squats, butt kicks, and lunges. Then end each round with either a minute walk or by stretching your quads.
- Cycling and Swimming: Another great and entertaining way to reach your anaerobic state is to alternate between fast paced cycling or swimming with moderate rides and swims. Do five minutes of intense cycling and then either walk your bike or slow done. For a swim, do a high-intensity lap followed by a slower, relaxed swim.
These exercises will keep you in shape while also reducing your fight with aging. Soon, people will be asking you what your secret is.